Medical How should I answer this in regard to non-renewal of contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lord999

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If someone is working at an academic center as an academic clinician and their contract is non renewed without any cause, is this reportable to future employers during the screening application?
the VA asks "17C. HAVE ANY OF YOUR STAFF APPOINTMENTS OR CLINICAL PRIVILEGES EVER BEEN DENIED, REVOKED, SUSPENDED, REDUCED, LIMITED, NOT RENEWED, OR VOLUNTARILY RELINQUISHED" - is the answer to this question as yes?
are staff appointments same as employment contracts?
Ok, so the answer is technically 'Yes' but you can write in the explanation that it was a term-limited contract. And you have to answer Yes based on your residency history also.

Members don't see this ad.

Why is it a yes based on residency contract? My appointment or privileges weren't affected during the probation period.
Is medical staff membership same as employment contract ?
How bad is non- renewal of contract without cause? I thought it was not a big issues because the employer gave me a year notice period and I was working during that period. Is it something I should have tried to address before I left the job?
Well, if you were placed on probation during your residency, that's a reduction/limitation as you are not trusted in practice and are under tighter supervision. The nonrenewal is not usually an issue if term-limited, unless you carried a faculty title with it. Ones with faculty titles are understood to be automatically renewable, so it's very likely that the VA Security Investigations Center from North Little Rock will do due diligence and call your former place of work and ask around. If it really was just a nonrenewal without anything else, then you shouldn't need to worry about it.

Is there a central system in hospitals where I can call and see if there is anything reported ? I mean how would I know if there is anything I need to worry about?

There were issues that appeared petty at that time that they would tell me about once in 6 months like not answering emails within 24 hours or once I missed a meeting or the ED complained every 6 months or so because I didn't pick up the call on time during busy hours, administration said I had issues with assigning patients to correct teams in EMR, using appropriate templates, compliance related documents.

Obviously I wasn't on good terms but the contract non renewal doesn't say anything plus I was allowed to work under full capacity for a full year after the non-renewal letter, neither was there an investigation.

How will I know if they make an issue of it. Is there a way to find out?
Is non renewal of contract without any cause considered a disciplinary action? should I have spoken to someone about this ? I am clueless about all this .
Yep:

there is nothing reported on NPDB, but then my residency probation is also not reported. The reason I am asking this question is that I dont want to underreport at the same time I dont want to volunteer information if its not necessary.

Initially I thought my clinical privileges were not renewed, then I figured out that clinical privileges are different from employment contracts and there was no issues with that.

Now I am confused about staff membership if that is different that employment contracts? most of these questionares ask about staff membership, what is staff membership? when contracts are not renewed is the staff membership not renewed?

should I have gone to the authorities for and asked for some sort of leniency or negotiate some thing?

I did not know the non-renewal would become a big issue, I am utterly confused about the situation. I even went to a lawyer to ask all these questions and he was not clear either.

Should I explain in detail about the issues because the non-renewal notice does not mention anything, I went to ask if there was any issue and the head said no we renew based on various reason, like if someone does not participate in research. I mean if it doesn't need an explanation and if I say yes the contract was non renewed for no reason, where can they call the hospital and ask about my employment history?
Since nothing is wrong, then I would not be anxious about it. Whoever the SIC asks, it'll be fine. You've overthinking this.

But if you are not on the level, and the SIC believes you gave a dishonest answer, there will be problems. Whatever you state if inconsistent with what people tell the SIC when they are contacted, you will get a chance to correct it.

Status
Not open for further replies.