Medical How should I approach the end of this cycle, and a potential re-app?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll start with my stats, since they're probably what's throwing everything all wonky. uGPA/sGPA 3.0x (with approx. 270credit hours). grad GPA 3.93.

uGPA: 3.0x, sGPA: 3.07. I wasn't pre-med, and my poorest grades were in mostly non-premed classes which still counted as science--I failed several comp sci/eng classes that I took out of 'interest' and I barely passed a couple of architectural design/engineering classes. I also withdrew from classes during several of my early semesters, as it was before I qualified for financial aid for everything and it was outside of the number of classes I could afford.

I had an odd journey through undergrad at several universities. I started at MIT at 15, and I was honestly just too damn young to live on my own. I'd never spent a night away from home, and it was a recipe for disaster. Coming home was a huge punch to my confidence, and I basically coasted through random classes for the next 3ish years, at a CC and then at a 4-year. I met my (now) husband, and got it together, and got back into research. I was essentially planning on a PhD and had a lab already lined up, and was in--and then I shadowed my PI who was an MD-Ph.D. and I got stuck on this dream. I dropped the PhD for the (rushed) MS version instead, rocked it with mostly As (one A- and one B+) over 34 credits in one year (3.93 GPA), and graduated in 2018. I didn't qualify for FAP and didn't have money (MA's don't get paid well), so I got a job in biotech to save and also pay rent. I got a 525 on the MCAT (132/130/132/131) in June 2020, and (thought) I was pretty ready for this past cycle.

EC's wise I thought I was solid. I was a medical/surgical assistant for a year in 2017-18, and racked up nearly 1000 hours of patient contact. In the 2.5ish years since, I've been a research scientist in R&D working on gene therapy for orphan diseases and vaccine research. I also started volunteering at Hospice recently (projected to end of June is ~200, to end of June 2022 ~1200). From 2016-2018, I taught kids to read, and 2018-2020 I tutored high school kids and helped with college app prep (non-clinical volunteering total hours to date~1100-1200). I did a good bit of consistent research from 2010-2017 in cancer research labs, and I have a publication in JPET. I have a current NIH grant I'm funded by, with a paper in the works, but I don't expect it to hit publication until early October in all honesty.

I ended up submitting mid-July, but I didn't get verified until the end of September. There were problems with my MIT transcript--I'd never set up my alumni account, and it'd been almost ten years since I'd been there, and it was just a huge headache trying to get that transcript. Long story short, I really ran out of momentum by the time I finally got secondaries, but I submitted almost all of them by the beginning of November (most done by mid Oct, within 2-3 weeks of receipt). I added in one school late in Mid November and turned that secondary around in a few days, and I'm in their interview pool.

My dream school is still 'considering' me, and I'm in their interview pool too. I'm sending in a LOI/update there in the hopes that it might improve something, but I'm also facing reality--I'll probably have to re-apply. I don't know how to improve my application. I'm thinking of applying to a clinical research coordinator job that I meet all of the preferred qualifications for, to bring me back into a more medical/clinical role since I'd be working with doctors and patients, but that wouldn't start until June/July.

I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions! Thank you in advance!
Was your graduate coursework a research based curriculum? Or was it a special Master's type program?

Members don't see this ad.

I am assuming your graduate GPA was not a Special Masters Program as it seems you were more interested in research and the Ph.D. track? If so, your problem here is your GPA. If your undergrad GPA is 3.0x, you need either a post-bac or SMP to get your GPA in the competitive range and show you can handle medical school level courses (which you can clearly do with a 525 MCAT.) I can tell you are an extremely smart person, you just need your GPA to reflect that.

The other deficit I see is you have zero hours of non-clinical volunteering helping underserved or people less fortunate than yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.