Medical How should I frame my personal statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to write my personal statement for the last two weeks, but I am really stumped. I know that this is supposed to be the place where I show my passion for medicine and why I am interested in medicine in the first place, but I feel like my reasons for wanting to be a doctor as just so cliche. I honestly don't remember when I first considered medicine as a career path, but my love for service and science, particularly human bio, are my main driving factors (which is the same for pretty much every applicant). I have had some distinct clinical experiences that have really confirmed for me that I want to work in a patient-centered field, but there isn't much else that is unique about my ~reason~ for being interested in medicine. Does anyone have any advice for framing my interests in my personal statement? For reference, the two main things that I am hoping to focus on are my passion for working with underserved populations and my interest in neuroscience, since everything I have done in the last four years has centered on these two things.

Tell your story.

You have a relatively distinctive clinical experience, and want a patient-centered field. Why was it distinctive? What was your experience that led to wanting to be patient-centered? Why are you you?

Wanting to help people and such are cliche, yes, but no one has walked in your shoes - only you. Your story is inherently different than others, even if there are similarities to others - still different.

Maybe even present something about yourself that isn't necessarily present in your application.

For instance, did you have any obstacles to overcome that were not obvious? Any significant accomplishments that influenced your decision? What was it that had you realize your potential? Can you describe you "ah-ha" moment?

Members don't see this ad.

You will receive a lot of advice on how you should write your personal statement, and I agree with the points above that you have to frame it into your story on what makes you want to become a physician, that you have the maturity and insight to persist against very challenging working circumstances, that you know what it takes to be a "good doctor." Read through and ask questions in the public forums to pick an approach that works best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.