Medical How should I go about applying for transfer in same speciality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am PGY1 in pathology residency program at NY. I am thinking of applying for transfer to pathology residency programs in west coast due to family issues. What is best time to start the application process for transfer and good time to talk to my current program director about this. How will I know if the programs in west coast do have vacant 2nd year positions?
Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
There's no such thing as a residency transfer. You apply to programs and hope to sign a contract before your current program requires you to sign you PGY2 contract. There's no formal process or centralized system to move after you've started a residency. You basically just have to reach out to programs and ask if they might have a PGY2 spot opening up. You can also go back in to the match for a PGY1 spot and mention in your PS (or reach out if you get interviews) that you're actually interested in a PGY2 spot.

Members don't see this ad.

There's no such thing as a residency transfer. You apply to programs and hope to sign a contract before your current program requires you to sign you PGY2 contract. There's no formal process or centralized system to move after you've started a residency. You basically just have to reach out to programs and ask if they might have a PGY2 spot opening up. You can also go back in to the match for a PGY1 spot and mention in your PS (or reach out if you get interviews) that you're actually interested in a PGY2 spot.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t your program have to agree to “let you go?”

Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t your program have to agree to “let you go?”
You are incorrect. Your program can not force you to stay. Residency is on an annual contract basis. But all contracts have an "out" clause typically of 90 days notice. So you can just walk away at any point.

Hello,
I am PGY1 in pathology residency program at NY. I am thinking of applying for transfer to pathology residency programs in west coast due to family issues. What is best time to start the application process for transfer and good time to talk to my current program director about this. How will I know if the programs in west coast do have vacant 2nd year positions?
Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

The time is now. Talk to your PD. Let them know that you're having these issues. If your PD is a reasonable person, they will want to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.