How should I go about applying with my stats (MD)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rjkbuny

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I currently have a 3.5c and 3.43s for my undergrad. This is including 1 post bac course with an A. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I will in May. Just a FYI, I had a medical thing that really made a dip in my grades sophomore year. It wasn't anything to be point of being in the hospital everyday, but I was always tired and couldn't focus well (2.5-2.8 gpa for both s and c to give you guys an idea). I know it definitely comes down to getting a high MCAT score, but I was wondering if anyone would have advice regarding how many schools I should try to apply to assuming the average matriculating MCAT score of about 31? I have read some other forums, some suggest casting a wide net, others say it would wear you down. I only have one in state school, and that school calculates a weighted gpa for the first 3 years of college, which is a strong disadvantage to me. Should I be applying to a large number of schools to ensure I would at least receive some interviews, or can I be more optimistic and lower the number? Thanks in advance!

Oh, by the way, I won't be applying DO because my parents are overseas, so in case I need to work away from the US at some point, I can't use a DO degree.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your primary concern now must be the mcat. Once you get your score, you can make your list.

Reactions: 1 user
Beggars can't be choosy.
I definitely understand that, but unless DO is recognized overseas, it's not a practical option for me. I know my gpa is low and that's why I'm trying to see if I should try to apply for more of a variety of schools and see if that would increase my chances. I am pretty much willing to go anywhere that would take me and am open to applying to Caribbean schools. Do you think if my MCAT results turn out to be good, I have a chance of applying, or should I try taking more post bac courses and wait to apply? If I should take more courses, how much of a gpa raise do I need from my current 3.5?

Well I think the average GPA is around 3.7 but your sGPA is really pretty low too. It will be hard to raise your GPAs because of the law of diminishing returns. How are you ECs? There was a map posted recently of where DOs can practice around the world. I was pretty surprised really at how accepted the DO degree is accepted globally. I can't find it but maybe someone will post it for you.
Don't even consider the Caribbean. It would be a very bad choice and there are dozens of threads that will explain why.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Well I think the average GPA is around 3.7 but your sGPA is really pretty low too. It will be hard to raise your GPAs because of the law of diminishing returns. How are you ECs? There was a map posted recently of where DOs can practice around the world. I was pretty surprised really at how accepted the DO degree is accepted globally. I can't find it but maybe someone will post it for you.
Don't even consider the Caribbean. It would be a very bad choice and there are dozens of threads that will explain why.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I totally hear you on the diminishing returns. After my 2.8 sophomore year, I've been taking at least 21 credits each semester to get myself back up to the 3.5. I did some calculations, with a lot of post bac courses, a 3.6 can be feasible, but I'm unsure it's worth it. I think my EC's wouldn't be considered too horrible. Volunteered at a hospital all 4 years, also a medical clinic, Alzheimer's home, school mentor, and some others. 7 leadership positions during college. Have shadowed a variety of doctors (each only for a few days though). Been doing bench research since high school, currently work at a research institute, and have 2 first author (not high IF) papers from undergrad work. Also have done some clinical research. Have some other work experience, but I don't think those are too relevant. Is this an EC list we can work with?

I will definitely give the DO recognition thing a second look, and thanks for the tip about Caribbean. I hadn't really known that, and I will definitely look up some threads on it.

The DO degree is more accepted than you might think, take a look into which countries.

Reactions: 1 users
http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a.../Pages/international-practice-rights-map.aspx
Also of note, physicians (MD or DO) working with Médecins Sans Frontières have full practice privileges.
Thank you so much for the map! I have found a list, but the map visual is really helpful! To my surprise, it is actually accepted. I will definitely give DO schools a look.

One thing that came to mind after I read some Caribbean threads about unable to get a residency after graduation is, is something similar a possibility with a DO degree in an overseas country that I should be prepared for, or should it be fine? The DO practice rights state that DO's are able to sit in on the national licensure exam, and can possess full practice rights, but are most hospitals just as accepting of hiring a DO as an MD outside of the US?

Thank you so much for the map! I have found a list, but the map visual is really helpful! To my surprise, it is actually accepted. I will definitely give DO schools a look.

One thing that came to mind after I read some Caribbean threads about unable to get a residency after graduation is, is something similar a possibility with a DO degree in an overseas country that I should be prepared for, or should it be fine? The DO practice rights state that DO's are able to sit in on the national licensure exam, and can possess full practice rights, but are most hospitals just as accepting of hiring a DO as an MD outside of the US?
My experience with hospital privileges is entirely domestic.
I have seen no differences between similarly trained physicians with either degree.

Reactions: 2 users