How should I go about asking for a LOR?

Started by bangn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bangn

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be applying for the 2015 cycle this summer and plan to apply right away in July. I have 140 observation hours under my belt in two different settings and have met many wonderful PTs along the way. There are two PTs I am considering asking for LOR; however, because I plan to apply in four months and am thinking about reaching out to a different setting how should I go about asking them to write me a good LOR in the future? Should I ask now? Reach out to them later? What is the proper way to do so?
 
I got my observation hours more than a year in advance. Since they can't write the LOR until the application is officially open, I just asked the PT's if they would mind writing one once they were able to do so (and gave them a general idea of when that would be). That way they had a heads up about it. Plus, you don't want to risk waiting any extended period of time to ask so they don't forget you. One of the PT's I observed gets several students a year so I'm sure it's easy for them to get confused or forgetful.
 
Usually (i have 6 settings with multiple different therapist at once that i have done clinical's with) usually the therapist knows you will need a LOR its a standard in our future field now. usually after at least 20 or so hours (hit 40+ if you have the time that's usualy enough to show them your committed and that your a good hard worker so long as you have been a good hard worker) i ask "hey im applying to xxxx do you think you would feel comfortable being one of my LOR"