Medical How should I handle ADHD + withdrawal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have really struggled in BCPM courses since coming to college and just finished my sophomore spring semester. I began to take Genetics last semester but decided to withdrawal from the course after I bombed the first exam due to performance anxiety symptoms. I retook the class this semester, and studied non-stop, but just received a final grade of a C. Both fortunately and unfortunately, I found out that I have actually had undiagnosed ADHD. I began medication today and am hopeful that I will be able to start making steady A's in my BCPM courses, but my BCPM GPA before the C consisted of mostly Bs and B+s, with one A-. Should I try to request a retroactive withdrawal for my Genetics course due my undiagnosed/untreated ADHD, which especially hindered my ability to perform well seeing as the class was incredibly detailed and I struggled to retain heavily detailed information, or would a second W in the same course look worse? For more context, I do have credit for the 1 hour lab in which I earned an A. How should I move forward from here and should I mention the struggle in my application?
Do you need Genetics (or a similar level science course) for your degree?

I assume the answer is yes, in which case you absolutely should not retroactive withdrawal. Beyond the fact that it would look weird to take the same course 3 times, you have a finite amount of time in the day. The hundreds of hours you would need to sink into retaking this class could be better spent elsewhere.

If you don't need the course for your degree, and you can still graduate on a timeline that is acceptable to you, then I'm +/-. It still seems like a lot of work to take another 3 credits at some other point, but it's your call.

Members don't see this ad.

It is not something I need to graduate. It is highly recommended and on the pre-med course load at my university. I will be taking plenty of other bio courses as I am trying to take as many as possible while maintaining As in order to raise my BCPM GPA. I just wasn't sure, if it is an option for me, if I should try to get it withdrawn because I would not be taking the course again. Basically, take the C and move on or try to get it Withdrawn (but having two W's for one class and not retaking it).
If these are the only W's on your transcript, and the only point of taking additional bio courses like Genetics is to raise your GPA... then sure, I don't think it would hurt to try and retroactive withdraw. It does look weird, but not as bad as the C, IMO.

Thank you. How would I best explain this during an interview?
If this was ever brought up, which I don't think it would be, I think you should frankly just be honest. Making something up and coming off dishonest would be worse than what you have laid out here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes thank you. If I cannot get it withdrawn or choose not to, how detrimental will the C be? For reference, I am a Texas resident.
It's as detrimental as it is to your overall GPA. No point in worrying about it now.

One C is not going to kill you. You need to look at your GPA as a whole. I would definitely not retake the course. I guess you could retro withdrawal, but like you said it does kinda look weird.

Thanks. I am taking classes over the summer so it will be around a 3.3, which is still not great. My overall will be around a 3.6. I am planning to get my BCPM up to a 3.5 and overall to a 3.7 before applying.
Sounds good. When applying, make sure to add DO shools to your list.

Status
Not open for further replies.