Medical How should I include this information on AACOMAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was unsure if there was an active official aacomas thread since I did not see people responding on some of the threads I saw. I had a couple questions.
1. Is it best to not include future hours in the space provided to include hours, and rather put that information in the activity description?
2. Is it a setback if my transcript is being mailed out tomorrow? I plan to submit my app tomorrow. The E-transcript was not an available option with what my schools used to AACOMAS said I had to mail it. Due to COVID, my school staff only comes in once a week and I just received my spring grades so there wasn't an earlier option. I know med schools will be understanding but do I include this in the COVID essay?
3. If I received a scholarship based on my high school academics that applies each year as long as I keep up my GPA, would I include that as an achievement? In AMCAS or in AACOMAS?
1) That is generally recommended. What you did carries more weight than what you promise.
2) No it's not a setback. Not this early. It's not so much of an inconvenience as you think.
3) Leave HS accomplishments to the past unless it is of national prominence, but even then don't put a ton of weight on it.

Members don't see this ad.

I was unsure if there was an active official aacomas thread since I did not see people responding on some of the threads I saw. I had a couple questions.
1. Is it best to not include future hours in the space provided to include hours, and rather put that information in the activity description?
2. Is it a setback if my transcript is being mailed out tomorrow? I plan to submit my app tomorrow. The E-transcript was not an available option with what my schools used to AACOMAS said I had to mail it. Due to COVID, my school staff only comes in once a week and I just received my spring grades so there wasn't an earlier option. I know med schools will be understanding but do I include this in the COVID essay?
3. If I received a scholarship based on my high school academics that applies each year as long as I keep up my GPA, would I include that as an achievement? In AMCAS or in AACOMAS?
1) Don't know
2) no. The DO cycle is longer than MD and you'll be fine into November. It's still way early for MD as well.
3) Just to clarify, your award if from high school, but is given each year for college performance, correct? if so, then yes, include it.

This is my info:
  • Asian Female, NJ Resident. Bilingual - can speak fluently in my native tongue, but I'm not as good with reading/writing it.
  • Biology major, Psychology Minor
  • 3.787 cGPA and 3.745 sGPA.
  • MCAT: 507 (128/125/128/126)
  • 271 clinical volunteering hours (Volunteering at a children's hospital, general hospital, and EMT).
  • 102 shadowing hours (sports medicine doctor, primary care doctors, 1 neurology doctor). All the doctors I shadowed were MDs. I had shadowing at DO offices lined up but due to the coronavirus situation I was unable to complete that shadowing.
  • About 100 non-clinical volunteering hours (habitat for humanity, soup kitchen, covid 19 housing hotline)
  • Work: Kumon, Dunkin' Donuts, Tutoring at my College
  • I also have been doing biology research since Fall 2018. Do not have a publication though.
  • I have been on the executive board for a couple orgs (Future Health Professionals, TriBeta). I recently became VP for our honors biology association (TriBeta) for the 2020-2021 school year and president for Future Health Professionals.
  • Dean's List all semesters. I'm in the Honors Program at my college (The College of New Jersey)
  • Future: I also recently got hired as a medical scribe at an ER which is set to start August.
  • Hobbies: Tennis in free time, Reading, nothing extreme
  • LOR: have 6 (2 bio professors, 1 psych professor, Research mentor, 2 MDs)

Please break down your non-clinical volunteering and employment experiences, just to make sure I know how these hours add up.

Your 507 MCAT should be pretty good along with your GPA for DO schools, but will get affirmation from @Faha and @Goro
  • About 100 non-clinical volunteering hours
    • Habitat: 32
    • Soup Kitchen: 50 (was going to return during my spring break and after the semester ended but didn't get a chance to
    • Housing Hotline: 20 (Will continue it for a while, probably even during MS since it's a hotline)
  • Work
    • Kumon: 180
    • Dunkin: 147
    • Tutoring: 66 (continuing again next school year)
I know my non clinical hours are definitely low but I do plan to continue some volunteer as soon as I can after COVID.

Please break down your non-clinical volunteering and employment experiences, just to make sure I know how these hours add up.

Your 507 MCAT should be pretty good along with your GPA for DO schools, but will get affirmation from @Faha and @Goro
A 507 is fine for any DO school! Also fine for quite a few MD schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.