Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How should I name my ECs?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by silverlining1, May 14, 2007.

1. silverlining1

Medical Student
    How did you all name/categorize your extracurriculars/awards? Here's an example of something I'm having trouble with:

I volunteer/tutor elementary school kids by doing fun science experiments. I am currently co-president of the organization, which is called Henry's Place.

1) What category should I list this under? Community service, teaching, leadership?
    2) What should I call the experience? I was thinking of something like "Volunteer science tutor for children". Should I be more/less specific? I have not heard of how anyone else titles their experiences, so I'm clueless here.

Thanks so much!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. emaj1n

emaj1n M1

Medical Student
    Good question, though I doubt it makes much, if any, difference.

I would list it under community service or teaching. If you have a lot of community service ECs, listing the experience under "teaching" may broaded make your application look more well-rounded. And vice versa.

As for the name, again, don't sweat over this. What you have is fine. I might slip in "elementary" and make it "Volunteer elementary science tutor," but that's my personal preference. The bottom line is that little things like this aren't going to make a difference. Make your titles pithy and error free.

If you have any other questions, email or PM me. Good luck!

4. nick_carraway

Resident [Any Field]
    I saw elsewhere that if you're unsure what to list ECs as, put them in the category that you're deficient in.

emaj1n is right in that I don't think it matters too much. I believe LizzyM said that she doesn't look for specific types of experiences in the list of ECs except for clinical-paid and clinical-volunteer.

As for the titles, emaj1n, I'm guessing that the transcript titles for things like "pain medicine research intern" or "research assistant intern" are too dull and vague?