How should I name my ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silverlining1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you all name/categorize your extracurriculars/awards? Here's an example of something I'm having trouble with:

I volunteer/tutor elementary school kids by doing fun science experiments. I am currently co-president of the organization, which is called Henry's Place.

1) What category should I list this under? Community service, teaching, leadership?
2) What should I call the experience? I was thinking of something like "Volunteer science tutor for children". Should I be more/less specific? I have not heard of how anyone else titles their experiences, so I'm clueless here.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

How did you all name/categorize your extracurriculars/awards? Here's an example of something I'm having trouble with:

I volunteer/tutor elementary school kids by doing fun science experiments. I am currently co-president of the organization, which is called Henry's Place.

1) What category should I list this under? Community service, teaching, leadership?
2) What should I call the experience? I was thinking of something like "Volunteer science tutor for children". Should I be more/less specific? I have not heard of how anyone else titles their experiences, so I'm clueless here.

Thanks so much!

Good question, though I doubt it makes much, if any, difference.

I would list it under community service or teaching. If you have a lot of community service ECs, listing the experience under "teaching" may broaded make your application look more well-rounded. And vice versa.

As for the name, again, don't sweat over this. What you have is fine. I might slip in "elementary" and make it "Volunteer elementary science tutor," but that's my personal preference. The bottom line is that little things like this aren't going to make a difference. Make your titles pithy and error free.

If you have any other questions, email or PM me. Good luck!

I saw elsewhere that if you're unsure what to list ECs as, put them in the category that you're deficient in.

emaj1n is right in that I don't think it matters too much. I believe LizzyM said that she doesn't look for specific types of experiences in the list of ECs except for clinical-paid and clinical-volunteer.

As for the titles, emaj1n, I'm guessing that the transcript titles for things like "pain medicine research intern" or "research assistant intern" are too dull and vague?