How should I prepare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

susan96

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am meeting with the dean of a pharmacy school I am interested in to talk to him about the program, get my questions answered, and tour the school. Should I treat this like an interview, and dress appropriately, or would this be more casual? Also, what types of questions should I ask, and what else should I not forget? I just want to be sure I make a good impression. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

susan96 said:
I am meeting with the dean of a pharmacy school I am interested in to talk to him about the program, get my questions answered, and tour the school. Should I treat this like an interview, and dress appropriately, or would this be more casual? Also, what types of questions should I ask, and what else should I not forget? I just want to be sure I make a good impression. Thanks!

I had a meeting with the Dean of Admissions at UCSD last fall. I didn't look at it as someone interviewing me, but as you are saying, asking him questions about his program. I did wear a tie and dress shirt, semi-formal. I thought at the time it may be much, but he was wearing the same, so we seemed on the same level there. I think, first appearences are everything, dressing up just shows that you respect the opportunity and are a professional.

I would ask about the curriculum, how it will prepare you for whichever field you are interested in. I have been into pharmacogenomics, so I asked about that and the future of pharmacy, these are themes UCSD was promoting, so I thought it was good to ask about it. Also, what you can do to make your application more appealing to the admissions board? What does that school look for in a candidate, etc?

Try and find what the expertise of the school is before hand, do lots of research and ask about things that geniunely interest you in the school and also in the pharmacy profession. I found it a good prep for the interview process. Also, when I did eventually interview at UCSD, I felt comfortable in the setting and having met some of the folks there. Of course, I was disappointed I didn't get into UCSD, but the competition (30 accepted out of 1200 applicants) didn't make me feel so bad. However, that initial experience with the dean was a great opp and great prep for the eventual interview.

Hope that helps!