How Should I Study For The Dat?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eddiescott

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I am 29 yrs old and will be 30 when I apply to dental school after this semester.

I think I have a strong advantage to applying to dental schools as I have greatly matured over the last 6 years and I have a 4.0 science GPA to date.

My big problem was that although I really wanted to be a dentist in college I just couldnt find the time to take the classes b/c I played NCAA basketball. Life was tough. But I am attempting to correct my life mistakes now !!!

Now I am an accountant. A CPA to be more precise and I just finished up my masters degree in Accountancy at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and I have also been taking the science pre-reqs for dental.

Only need to take Org Chem II then I can apply to dental school in June.
Its exciting. Gonna cost alot but doesnt everything these days !!!

HERE IS MY MAJOR PROBLEM///////

Only problem is that I have no idea what to study for concerning the DAT. Could someone please help me !!!!

A friend recently gave me his Kaplan course books along with tests, etc. IS THIS ENOUGH TO STUDY ON MY OWN??? Or is it really necessary that I enroll in the online course as well.

I have heard people say that if you have the books then you are golden but I need some positive reinforcement !!!
Thanks so much!
Good luck everyone.

Edward Scott II, MAcc, CPA (future dental student hopeful !!!)

you can also respond to [email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

kaplan book= great stuff, but boring
princeton review book= good, easier to read.
buy CDs like topscore" and sample exams from online (i forgot)
study like crazy for a couple months and with your GPA you will be a P>I>M>P> applicant.

good luck

Hey-

My advice is that the combination of the Kaplan DAT book, your science texts, and consistancy in studying will enable you to get a great score without the major monetary investment. I studied on my own with this stuff and got a 23 AA/ 24 TS / 21 PAT. So it is definitely possible, and cheaper than a course.

Specifically, use your old general bio book to supplement the kaplan sections for plants, classification, and ecology. Also, try doing some of the problems in your old texts to see what subjects may be a bit rusty. I certainly encourage you to take the practice tests on the CD as well.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
bspeedy00 said:
Hey-

My advice is that the combination of the Kaplan DAT book, your science texts, and consistancy in studying will enable you to get a great score without the major monetary investment. I studied on my own with this stuff and got a 23 AA/ 24 TS / 21 PAT. So it is definitely possible, and cheaper than a course.

Specifically, use your old general bio book to supplement the kaplan sections for plants, classification, and ecology. Also, try doing some of the problems in your old texts to see what subjects may be a bit rusty. I certainly encourage you to take the practice tests on the CD as well.

Good luck!

hey guys thanks for the input. I am seriously thinking about the KAplan online class. Seems like $900 is small in the overall scheme of things at this point.

I agree completely that I should be able to just study Topscore and old college books but heres the problem. When I look at the topic thats on the test, I cannot seem to find the corresponging material in the biology books I have. Also, there are some questions on Topscore that I cannot find any info in my Bio book on. Maybe I will do some creative Internet searches.

Thanks!

aceking said:
kaplan book= great stuff, but boring
princeton review book= good, easier to read.
buy CDs like topscore" and sample exams from online (i forgot)
study like crazy for a couple months and with your GPA you will be a P>I>M>P> applicant.

good luck

thanks ACEKING!!!

Bio is just one of those subjects that you have to lucky sometimes.
after i took the DAT i realized that there are some questions that there was no way for me to get it right even though i had one year more to study.
There will always be a weird question about some freaky type of parasite that live 100billiion years ago that nobody gives a dang. So dont freak out when you see questions that you cant find the answer in a bio book. As long as you miss less than 5 question in bio u will be in good shape. The other guy (Bspeedy00)is right about studying in your own. Some people are very good educating themselves, but some people would rather have the more structural and typical studying stragedy such kaplan online stuff.
if money is not big deal then buy hella DAT stuff even though it is hard to find and study from kaplan online.

goodluck

eddiescott said:
hey guys thanks for the input. I am seriously thinking about the KAplan online class. Seems like $900 is small in the overall scheme of things at this point.

I agree completely that I should be able to just study Topscore and old college books but heres the problem. When I look at the topic thats on the test, I cannot seem to find the corresponging material in the biology books I have. Also, there are some questions on Topscore that I cannot find any info in my Bio book on. Maybe I will do some creative Internet searches.

Thanks!

Another word of advice. Go with your gut. If you feel the $900 is a worthwhile investment, and will help you score better, you are probably right. The structure of a course will definitely offer some guidance of where to look, and how to find the needed material. Oh, and you are right, $900 is kinda small in comparison to the big picture...getting into and through dental school.

eddiescott said:
Hi everyone.
I am 29 yrs old and will be 30 when I apply to dental school after this semester.

I think I have a strong advantage to applying to dental schools as I have greatly matured over the last 6 years and I have a 4.0 science GPA to date.

My big problem was that although I really wanted to be a dentist in college I just couldnt find the time to take the classes b/c I played NCAA basketball. Life was tough. But I am attempting to correct my life mistakes now !!!

Now I am an accountant. A CPA to be more precise and I just finished up my masters degree in Accountancy at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and I have also been taking the science pre-reqs for dental.

Only need to take Org Chem II then I can apply to dental school in June.
Its exciting. Gonna cost alot but doesnt everything these days !!!

HERE IS MY MAJOR PROBLEM///////

Only problem is that I have no idea what to study for concerning the DAT. Could someone please help me !!!!

A friend recently gave me his Kaplan course books along with tests, etc. IS THIS ENOUGH TO STUDY ON MY OWN??? Or is it really necessary that I enroll in the online course as well.

I have heard people say that if you have the books then you are golden but I need some positive reinforcement !!!
Thanks so much!
Good luck everyone.

Edward Scott II, MAcc, CPA (future dental student hopeful !!!)

you can also respond to [email protected]

I also found that audio CDs helped for the bio part. I used both AudioLearn and Audio Osmosis (which is geared towards the MCATs). AudioLearn is very very boring, but it includes the taxonomy, evolution, classification stuff that Audio Osmosis does not. The constant repetition of bio facts managed to creep into my head.

Also, the more practice taking them, the better. TopScore, Kaplan online tests, etc.

Good luck

bfp said:
I also found that audio CDs helped for the bio part. I used both AudioLearn and Audio Osmosis (which is geared towards the MCATs). AudioLearn is very very boring, but it includes the taxonomy, evolution, classification stuff that Audio Osmosis does not. The constant repetition of bio facts managed to creep into my head.

Also, the more practice taking them, the better. TopScore, Kaplan online tests, etc.

Good luck

well its like this, its a darn shame that a person cant just have what is needed in front of them and then just study that info then take the DAT.

I honestly think the DAT could be very easy if one had the material needed to study for it. It really seems like the hardest part is going to be finding this material.

For example,,,,,,the first thing that the ADA says is on the test is a section called ORIGIN OF LIFE.

Well, (this is only an example) its like this, there is NO origin of life section in my college biology book. There is a principles of cellular life. Kaplans corresponding section is called BASIS OF LIFE. Now when I do the practice tests from scholarware, all questions labeled as ORIGIN OF LIFE could not be answered by just studying KAPLAN's book nor can i find the answers in my bio book.

To me thats darn aggravating. ITs almost like I am going to study weeks of KAPLAN and it be a waste of time because its the wrong information.

Also, whats upsetting is this. Of course we could review prior notes from Bio classes. However, I would have to just review all of them which are hundreds of pages because they are not organized into sections comparable to the ones needed. Also some I have read arent detailed enough as well.

This is just all disappointing.

FURTHERMORE !!!,,,,, I saw the KAPLAN review notes workbook that you get for $1100 when takin the class and its the same as the 2004 blue book that costs around $30.00

Are you kidding me !!! Couldnt they come up with extra material ?

I have the desire and determination as I have a 4.0 science GPA but yet I am puzzled with this DAT...... I mean do they really expect students to be able to study for this thing?

I am a CPA. When I was gettin ready to take the CPA exam I took a BECKER course that was $1,500. I worked the problems and passed the CPA exam right after. It was prob 5 times harder than the DAT but I had the material to study for it.

Swewwwwwwwwwww. Life has its problems huh!