Army How should I utilize time in service?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D1Bound

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not looking to make the Army a career. My goal for my service time is to serve my country first, but also work really hard and learn as much as I possibly can to maximize my earning potential in private practice.
If I get stationed near my retirement age dentist friends I will moonlight during service. For someone like me, what would be the best route to go down? Or the "best value" time spent for skills earned route.

1 year AEGD with 4 years pay back
2 year Comprehensive residency 4 years pay back
1 year snow bird, 4 years residency, 4 years pay back Oral surgery

I have a long way before I make any big decisions like this but I'd like some perspective especially on the two AEGDs and what they would mean for me in private practice. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First of all, you are not permitted to moonlight during residency - so take that into account. This is also a relatively subjective question as only you know your long term goals. For all of the options you've laid out you're assuming you get the residency right out of school (even though there's a good likelihood for all of them, it's something to think about). Again, options 1 and 2 are very different from 3 - just depends on what kind of dentistry you want to practice in the end.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not looking to make the Army a career. My goal for my service time is to serve my country first, but also work really hard and learn as much as I possibly can to maximize my earning potential in private practice.
If I get stationed near my retirement age dentist friends I will moonlight during service. For someone like me, what would be the best route to go down? Or the "best value" time spent for skills earned route.

1 year AEGD with 4 years pay back
2 year Comprehensive residency 4 years pay back
1 year snow bird, 4 years residency, 4 years pay back Oral surgery

I have a long way before I make any big decisions like this but I'd like some perspective especially on the two AEGDs and what they would mean for me in private practice. Thanks
Figure out what you want to do with the remaining 25-30 years of your career and work back from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, you are not permitted to moonlight during residency - so take that into account. This is also a relatively subjective question as only you know your long term goals. For all of the options you've laid out you're assuming you get the residency right out of school (even though there's a good likelihood for all of them, it's something to think about). Again, options 1 and 2 are very different from 3 - just depends on what kind of dentistry you want to practice in the end.
I think if I'm dead set to apply for OMS, and I don't get it, I would go into an AEGD. I read somewhere that even though you apply for OMS 18 months before you start, it's possible to start OMS right after an AEGD. Is this correct? So I would try to do that. My biggest thing right now is figuring out if I just want to stick to dentoalveolar stuff or delve into the more in depth medical component of OMS.

Thanks for the response. It seems that all this information is everywhere in bits and piece so I'm trying to at least understand the process of applying and what opportunities/pathways are available.

I think if I'm dead set to apply for OMS, and I don't get it, I would go into an AEGD. I read somewhere that even though you apply for OMS 18 months before you start, it's possible to start OMS right after an AEGD. Is this correct? So I would try to do that. My biggest thing right now is figuring out if I just want to stick to dentoalveolar stuff or delve into the more in depth medical component of OMS.

Thanks for the response. It seems that all this information is everywhere in bits and piece so I'm trying to at least understand the process of applying and what opportunities/pathways are available.
AEGD timeline is changed as of this year to start in October. In previous years, you'd start your AEGD in August and could get release a month early to start a residency a year early IF there was a spot available. Now that things have changed, however, you probably won't be able to get released from your AEGD 4 months early.

If you're not sure, go do an externship at BAMC or Walter Reed

AEGD timeline is changed as of this year to start in October. In previous years, you'd start your AEGD in August and could get release a month early to start a residency a year early IF there was a spot available. Now that things have changed, however, you probably won't be able to get released from your AEGD 4 months early.

Thanks for that heads up. What does a new graduate do if they graduate in May and wait until the October start date for AEGD?

Does that mean that people who are not interested in the specialty will start AEGD in October as well? If so, if I graduate in May, do I have to spend time at home doing nothing until October with the exception of basic training?

Does that mean that people who are not interested in the specialty will start AEGD in October as well? If so, if I graduate in May, do I have to spend time at home doing nothing until October with the exception of basic training?
Depends on when you graduate. I think in 2022, BOLC is moving to a 11 week class. That would put you out around September, giving you time to in-process at your AEGD.

Thanks for that heads up. What does a new graduate do if they graduate in May and wait until the October start date for AEGD?
If you already did BOLC, you could presumably move out early to your AEGD site and start working once you have your license.

If you already did BOLC, you could presumably move out early to your AEGD site and start working once you have your license.
I wish. My school is year round with no summer off. 11 weeks? Sheesh that seems crazy long!

In your same boat, glad you asked this question. Thanks!