• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar - Starting at 8 PM

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy!

InNotOf

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2005
Status (Visible)
I've wondered just how oncologists should deal with the emotional stress associated with their jobs, people dying, etc. On one hand, it isn't good to bottle things up, but it can't be that great either to unload that stress onto family/friends who aren't in the field. I recently talked to two oncologists in similar career stages about this.

Dr. A - Married, w/ kids, says that he prefers to compartmentalize his career from his personal life and not bring up the dying patient stuff around his family. Says he doesn't think it's healthy, but not sure there's an alternative.

Dr. B - Single, no family, she seems more reflective about what she encounters w/ patients and willing/able to devote more of herself to her job (not in a workaholic way, per se, but emotionally). On the surface seems like a more healthy approach, but given the absence of family I wonder if she has a support network of any kind.

So which approach is healthier? Clearly there are multiple variables in the above comparison - male vs. female, married vs. single, ability to put more into caring for patients, but how do you think oncologists should approach the daily struggles of their profession?

SaltySqueegee

El Rey de Salsa
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
www.studentdoctor.net
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
I've wondered just how oncologists should deal with the emotional stress associated with their jobs, people dying, etc. On one hand, it isn't good to bottle things up, but it can't be that great either to unload that stress onto family/friends who aren't in the field. I recently talked to two oncologists in similar career stages about this.

Dr. A - Married, w/ kids, says that he prefers to compartmentalize his career from his personal life and not bring up the dying patient stuff around his family. Says he doesn't think it's healthy, but not sure there's an alternative.

Dr. B - Single, no family, she seems more reflective about what she encounters w/ patients and willing/able to devote more of herself to her job (not in a workaholic way, per se, but emotionally). On the surface seems like a more healthy approach, but given the absence of family I wonder if she has a support network of any kind.

So which approach is healthier? Clearly there are multiple variables in the above comparison - male vs. female, married vs. single, ability to put more into caring for patients, but how do you think oncologists should approach the daily struggles of their profession?

Dr. A is going to burn out.

Dr. B will likely do okay due to the reflective nature of 'her' life. Despite not having a classical family per se, one can get by in life if their attitude is in the right place. i.e. don't compartmentalize, but reflect and be flexible and try to be understanding. Some people can take, others cannot adapt...

At least that's my opinion.

Regards,

-Salty

salmonella

Gram-Negative Rods
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2004
Status (Visible)
I think the best approach is to channel all your sympathy, sadness, depressed feelings into something constructive, ie cancer research, reading journal articles, see more patients, rather than sitting at home alone and crying yourself out. The depressed feelings all originate from patient dying secondary to ineffective treatments, so you should fight the source of your depression (to do everything you can to fight cancer). That way you will feel better psychologically.

About the Ads

Ubadub

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
If you had to guess, how many are there in the field?

texashemonc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm a med student, and have always considered oncology. I have met few people like me, and I have learned little after my first year of school. Can someone sum up the real simple for me...

What do you do? I know it's care for the dying, but can you describe the day to day a bit. Talk to me like a child here, please. So you don't do radiation, but what exactly do you do?

How competitive is it? I'm in an average AAMC school with average grades. Will Step 1 matter a lot? I have done research in neuro, does it matter that it hasn't been onco? Will residency placement matter a lot? What are the biggest factors?

No idea how competitive these days as I went through this 10 years ago. I think doing plenty of rotations during residency and going to decent IM program is important though.

How do you integrate the fact that cancer seems to have a very real association between mental health and positive outcomes in your treatment? Do you educate patients that there are cases of people with seemingly terminal cancers who can turn it around and eliminate it without any Western aid? Do you worry that Western medicine misses a part of the "spiritual" element of treating cancer?

Every oncologist has seen patients who surprisingly do well and others who fail everything we throw at them. I do agree that positive mental attitude helps though.
So, to end, do you find your job satisfying? What kind of person do you think does best in the field?

My job is satisfying. I have been in private practice for 5 years doing both hematology and oncology. It's certainly not an easy one and hours are long.
Financially oncologists have taken major hits in last 3 years so don't go into this profession for money as it will certainly be different in 5 years.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.