How 'difficult' is it to match into any Endocrinology fellowship program? Decent Step 1 and 2 scores and not a ton of research but I did do a poster.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crigglernajjar11345

Reaction score
Current PGY2 soon to be PGY3 IM resident. I am set for Endocrinology, but I don't have a ton in the way of research. I did do a Poster presentation in my PGY2 year but thats about it. I will have LORs from Endocrinology, ID, Neurology and my PD. I am originally from NY and I know there are many Endocrinology programs there. Is it hard to match into any Endocrinology program? No red flags or really anything, just an above average application I guess.

Members don't see this ad.

So endocrine is not that competitive; it looked like it was getting more competitive during the 2021 cycle when the match rate dropped to 75%, but this past 2022 cycle it jumped back up to 86% again (less people applied and slightly more spots), so it really depends on the year. But if you're a USMD without red flags, the vast majority match.

However, it definitely helps to have something on your CV that demonstrates your interest in endocrine, and research or case reports in the field do help to accomplish that. Especially if you're shooting for the top NYC academic programs research does matter, but to match at any program you don't need a lot. Kind of late to submit any case reports/abstracts this time of year, but if the poster presentation you did was endocrinology related that should help. At this point though as long as you apply broadly you should have a decent chance.

Your letters are important though, and although you should be good with having one endocrine letter, not sure about the utility of having letters from ID/Neuro. I was advised in the past that other than having letters from endocrinology, having letters from IM faculty are also ideal as they can comment on your skills as a resident. But if these other subspecialty faculty are able to do that as well then that's probably fine.

Reactions: 1 users
So endocrine is not that competitive; it looked like it was getting more competitive during the 2021 cycle when the match rate dropped to 75%, but this past 2022 cycle it jumped back up to 86% again (less people applied and slightly more spots), so it really depends on the year. But if you're a USMD without red flags, the vast majority match.

However, it definitely helps to have something on your CV that demonstrates your interest in endocrine, and research or case reports in the field do help to accomplish that. Especially if you're shooting for the top NYC academic programs research does matter, but to match at any program you don't need a lot. Kind of late to submit any case reports/abstracts this time of year, but if the poster presentation you did was endocrinology related that should help. At this point though as long as you apply broadly you should have a decent chance.

Your letters are important though, and although you should be good with having one endocrine letter, not sure about the utility of having letters from ID/Neuro. I was advised in the past that other than having letters from endocrinology, having letters from IM faculty are also ideal as they can comment on your skills as a resident. But if these other subspecialty faculty are able to do that as well then that's probably fine.
Well I'm a DO not an US MD.
I'm going to apply to 30 endocrinology programs... maybe 45.

I don't have endocrine research just a nephrology poster presentation.
I really like endocrine and want to do it.

Well I'm a DO not an US MD.
I'm going to apply to 30 endocrinology programs... maybe 45.

I don't have endocrine research just a nephrology poster presentation.
I really like endocrine and want to do it.
I know IMGs with less who matched at good places. I would strongly suggest you try to get a case report or something, but if your goal is just to match anywhere, it shouldn't be a problem