How soon can you find out if you're accepted or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alferec

Future Army OD
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a weird situation where finding out if I get accepted before October 1st will help me a whole lot for my ability to go to optometry school (long story, relates to ROTC...). Does anybody know if I can get accepted (or at least get a provisional acceptance) to SCCO, UCBSO, NOVA, ICO, or SUNY before October 1st?

(I really don't know how soon acceptances typically get in or when interviews take place!) :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I think you chances are much better for getting in by Oct. 1 at SUNY because they other an "early assurance" admissions stream that begins in early july for applicants entering their final year.

Hi:

For UCBSO, you will be accepted without an interview if you are among the top 10% of all applicants. The deadline for applications is not usually until the middle of December so they may not be able to make that decision before October 1st. Try calling or e-mail the admissions office.

I only interviewed at a few other schools you mentioned, and here was my timeline:

SCCO:
Applied 09/01/02
Interviewed 10/26/02 (First day of interviews)
Acceptance notification 10/28/02 (Yes, they are that quick with decisions)

SUNY:
Applied 08/01/02
Interviewed 10/21/02 (Dr. Johnston came to my undergraduate college)
Acceptance notification 11/01/02

ICO:
Applied 08/01/02
Interviewed 09/19/02
Acceptance notification 10/03/02

Newenco:
Applied 08/01/02
Interviewed 12/18/02
Acceptance notification 12/20/02

I think your best option is applying to ICO because they appear to interview the earliest. I had essentially everything ready for them (OAT scores, letters of recommendation, college and high school transcripts, etc.) so that may affect if you will get accepted that soon.

- Rosanna

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed last wednesday and got notified today that I was waitlisted...

Hey stompy, I saw your numbers on an earlier post and they looked pretty good, i was just wondering why you were waitlisted at SCCO? (at least why do you think so?) I mean unless you didn't do enough extracurriculars or something?

I think I got waitlisted because I did poor on my interview. I carpooled with another person to the interview and she got accepted even though she had slightly lower stats and similar extracirriculars.

I was probably too nervous and for whatever reasons, words just didn't come out right that day. My interview at ICO came out very well and I could even recall sipping tea during it. It was like a casual conversation you'd have with your neighbor or something.

I'm just hoping that people that got accepted to SCCO but is awaiting results from Berkeley or other schools will withdraw their deposit. That's my best bet. I did call in and the lady on the phone told me I wasn't that far off from the "cutoff" mark.