How soon is too soon to look for a job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

spacecowgirl

in the bee-loud glade
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm only a P2 but I am planning on getting the heck out of SC and moving back home (MN) as soon as I graduate. I will have to take the law exam there, etc. So my question is, if I know what companies I am interested in working for and possible locations - is it too early to get to know some of the recruiters and get my name out there? Will this be adventageous to me in getting the job/placement of my choice or is it just a waste of time?

Thanks!

SCG
 
Well, MN no longer has any practical boards. I actually tested with the last group. Furthermore, if your're coming back to MN, you need to get your intern license NOW. They have a wierd requirement on how the number of hours are divided. Pay attention, because they won't accept hours done incorrectly by their standards.

Unless you want something special, start looking third year. The job that you find today probably won't be there three years from now.
 
spacecowgirl said:
I'm only a P2 but I am planning on getting the heck out of SC and moving back home (MN) as soon as I graduate. I will have to take the law exam there, etc. So my question is, if I know what companies I am interested in working for and possible locations - is it too early to get to know some of the recruiters and get my name out there? Will this be adventageous to me in getting the job/placement of my choice or is it just a waste of time?

Thanks!

SCG

Sorry, just had to tell you that your avatar ROCKS! 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lord999 said:
Well, MN no longer has any practical boards. I actually tested with the last group. Furthermore, if your're coming back to MN, you need to get your intern license NOW. They have a wierd requirement on how the number of hours are divided. Pay attention, because they won't accept hours done incorrectly by their standards.

Unless you want something special, start looking third year. The job that you find today probably won't be there three years from now.


Wow - I had no idea - thanks for some very helpful tips/reminders. I didn't think about the intern license thing...I'll be visiting their board site ASAP

RXGal- thanks :meanie: anything I can do to help out those whacky homosexuals! James Dobson rocks! 🙄
 
I would say start applying 3-6 months prior to when you would like to start working.
 
I'm only a P2 but I am planning on getting the heck out of SC and moving back home (MN) as soon as I graduate. I will have to take the law exam there, etc. So my question is, if I know what companies I am interested in working for and possible locations - is it too early to get to know some of the recruiters and get my name out there? Will this be adventageous to me in getting the job/placement of my choice or is it just a waste of time?

Thanks!

SCG


Really... you asked this question?
 
I'm only a P2 but I am planning on getting the heck out of SC and moving back home (MN) as soon as I graduate. I will have to take the law exam there, etc. So my question is, if I know what companies I am interested in working for and possible locations - is it too early to get to know some of the recruiters and get my name out there? Will this be adventageous to me in getting the job/placement of my choice or is it just a waste of time?

Thanks!

SCG

It's a little early, but doesn't hurt to plan ahead.
 
Oh I don't know... just felt like it. Hope the OP can successfully finish school and get a job.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, I was only a baby. God, that was so long ago. The amount my life has changed since then...unreal.