How strict are letter of recommendation requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1058816

Different schools seem to have different requirements, with the 2 most common being 2 science professors, 1 non-science. I have 2 PIs who can write good letter of recs for me in the sciences, and I can probably get 1 non-science one.

The problem is some schools also require a professor with whom I've taken classes, and honestly, I don't think I've left a strong impression on any professor on any professors. A few would probably have written one earlier, but with ~2 months to write (I'm at a big public school), it's quickly approaching too late.

How strict are the med school letter of recommendation requirements, and any advice in my position at this point?

I'd say I have the span of a few more days before it's totally too late to ask for a letter.

I'm going off this: Compiled Medical School Letter of Recommendation Requirements (2018-2019) | Joel Harris

Members don't see this ad.

Does your big public school do committee letters? If so, that would be a viable workaround, since all schools accept committee letters in lieu of their individual requirements. Otherwise, unless you can get an exception from a school, they want what they want, and not giving them exactly what they want risks having your application never being marked complete and never making it to a review for an II.

For the record, failing to make a strong positive impression on any professor in 3 or more years of UG is definitely a problem for a candidate in a process in which schools are literally inundated with applications and are just looking for reasons to eliminate people. Waiting until the very last last minute before stressing about it is also not a recipe for success.

At this point, you have to make do with what you have, and ask as many professors as you have to for a letter until you find one who says yes, hope it doesn't suck, and only send it to the schools that require it. Either that, or delay a year and go take more classes with a view towards making a good impression and getting a good letter. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I started collecting my LoRs I felt like I was in a similar position: I rarely went to large lecture classes in undergrad and never went to office hours, so my science professors didn't really know much about me other than my face/name. I think I was still able to get decent science rec letters because when I asked the professor for a letter, I would attach a 1-2 paragraph reflection on what I took from their class that will support my career in medicine, my PS, my CV, and my grade in their class. While my letters probably could have been stronger, it didn't seem like they hampered my application in any significant way.

Reactions: 1 user
When I started collecting my LoRs I felt like I was in a similar position: I rarely went to large lecture classes in undergrad and never went to office hours, so my science professors didn't really know much about me other than my face/name. I think I was still able to get decent science rec letters because when I asked the professor for a letter, I would attach a 1-2 paragraph reflection on what I took from their class that will support my career in medicine, my PS, my CV, and my grade in their class. While my letters probably could have been stronger, it didn't seem like they hampered my application in any significant way.
I'm glad to hear people in my same position. Do you think I should go in person? I've asked some of my best class professors through email already, with no responses. I'm thinking of going in either today or tomorrow to ask in-person, so it's harder for them to say no. I don't want to, but I don't see much of a choice.

On one hand, if they won't respond to my emails, they probably won't be amazing letters anyway, but I'm quickly running out of options.

I'm glad to hear people in my same position. Do you think I should go in person? I've asked some of my best class professors through email already, with no responses. I'm thinking of going in either today or tomorrow to ask in-person, so it's harder for them to say no. I don't want to, but I don't see much of a choice.

On one hand, if they won't respond to my emails, they probably won't be amazing letters anyway, but I'm quickly running out of options.
It is best to ask in-person if possible for such a request.

Reactions: 2 users
If it is a requirement, you have to do it. If it is recommended, you have a little flexibility. This is one reason why connecting with schools early with understanding their requirements is a very good idea to avoid these last minute surprises that have been starting at you this entire time.

Reactions: 1 user