How strict are they with completion of bachelors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TAI786

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in a bit of a mix. I've gotten admissions into LECOM Bradenton for fall (I'm already certain that's where I want to go) and I was planning on taking two courses this summer to complete my bachelor's. The problem is that my sister set her wedding date for mid May and it's overseas and not attending is simply not an option for me. Basically, that time frame conflicts with my summer classes and may cause problems. I've already completed all the pre-med course requirements, so what I'm wondering is how strict is LECOM Bradenton about my not having quite completed my bachelor's upon the beginning of classes in these circumstances? I know it sounds like a stupid question but it's really gotten me stressed. I'd appreciate all advice, I'm scared to call the admissions people at Bradenton and explain this right now because I'm worried they'll take away their offer of acceptance upon hearing this. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Your best bet might be to call them and ask them without giving out any information that could personally identify you (ie. your name). I don't know how strict they are about this, but I would think most medical schools would like you to have completed your degree upon the time that you matriculate. I know KCUMB had sent me some info shortly after I was admitted requesting an official transcript prior to enrollment that had proof of my degree, and I would expect the same of most other schools as well.

I would've said if it had been some extra requirements, maybe there would've been a possibility of being able to take them via distance learning, but I doubt that would be feasible since these are your actual major (?) requirements. Over here, summer classes don't start till June or what not. Maybe you could still take the classes and arrange something with your professors; I'm sure that they would understand your situation.

The classes aren't towards my major, they're actually towards my minor (my university requires a major and a minor for graduation :( ), which is in social sciences. I plan to talk to the professors for the classes I need and see if I can work something out but I need to actually take 2 classes in my spring semester and even if I can convince one to make an exception for me to do it online I am not sure if the other will bite. I have spring break (err... they actually call it Winter Break 2 at my uni) coming up so I'm going to research this all and see if there's a possibility to take the classes at another university that has a more accomodating schedule. I wish there was someone who had been through something similar that could relate to me their own personal experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finish your Bachelors degree.. you will feel stupid if you don't.

Take shorter break for wedding etc.... but don't loose your Bachelors... that would be stupid. No mater what LECOM thinks.

docbill said:
Finish your Bachelors degree.. you will feel stupid if you don't.

Take shorter break for wedding etc.... but don't loose your Bachelors... that would be stupid. No mater what LECOM thinks.

A Bachelor's is not needed, and we have students that didn't complete theirs.

OSUdoc08 said:
A Bachelor's is not needed, and we have students that didn't complete theirs.

It has nothing to do with DO school.. just a sence of accomplishment.

2 courses short.. come one.

docbill said:
It has nothing to do with DO school.. just a sence of accomplishment.

2 courses short.. come one.

I suppose if being in medical school isn't enough for ya. I do have my bachelor's, but I didn't feel more accomplished in earning something I will never use.

OSUdoc08 said:
I suppose if being in medical school isn't enough for ya. I do have my bachelor's, but I didn't feel more accomplished in earning something I will never use.

MD schools are ranked (one of the factors) is the number of students with a BSc or BA. If you go back to the history of DO schools, this was one of the issues, where they evaluated number of medical students with BSc or BA.

Look if you don't have a BS or BA that is fine. But 2 courses to show the amount of work you did for 4 years. Some medical schools, they will let you earn a BSc if you don't have one when you finish first year of medical school.

docbill said:
MD schools are ranked (one of the factors) is the number of students with a BSc or BA. If you go back to the history of DO schools, this was one of the issues, where they evaluated number of medical students with BSc or BA.

Look if you don't have a BS or BA that is fine. But 2 courses to show the amount of work you did for 4 years. Some medical schools, they will let you earn a BSc if you don't have one when you finish first year of medical school.

1. I don't know what you are trying to bring up with M.D. schools being ranked, but surely you know that schools such as TCOM, MSUCOM, OSUCOM, and KCOM are ranked alongside these schools.

2. Secondly, my discussion of completion of bachelor's degrees is not limited to D.O. schools. My pediatrician, an M.D., did not complete his bachelor's degree. Additionally, it is written that all schools in the state of Texas (7 M.D. and 1 D.O.) require only 90 hours of college credit and no degree. You will find many people at all of those schools with no degree. This is also true for Oklahoma.

OSUdoc08 said:
1. I don't know what you are trying to bring up with M.D. schools being ranked, but surely you know that schools such as TCOM, MSUCOM, OSUCOM, and KCOM are ranked alongside these schools.

2. Secondly, my discussion of completion of bachelor's degrees is not limited to D.O. schools. My pediatrician, an M.D., did not complete his bachelor's degree. Additionally, it is written that all schools in the state of Texas (7 M.D. and 1 D.O.) require only 90 hours of college credit and no degree. You will find many people at all of those schools with no degree. This is also true for Oklahoma.

I say monkey .. you say donkey. We will see how you feel after you finish your DO program (don't answer now, come back in 3 years).

If you took the time to check.. I am collecting degrees. So my opinion will not change. .

I have to get off this crack and leave you be. Don't you have to study for a test or something.

docbill said:
I say monkey .. you say donkey. We will see how you feel after you finish your DO program (don't answer now, come back in 3 years).

If you took the time to check.. I am collecting degrees. So my opinion will not change. .

I have to get off this crack and leave you be. Don't you have to study for a test or something.

What does this have to do with anything?

Docbill: You have me all wrong. I have full intentions of completing my bachelor's degree. But I'm thinking along the lines of completing it during the break they give after the 1st year of med school, or maybe even (I know this may sound totally ridiculous considering how much time med school takes out of the day) enrolling part time at a Bradenton vicinity university or community college in Florida during the med school year and transferring those credits to my undergrad uni so I'd complete my bachelor's that way. Whichever route I take, I have no intentions of ignoring my bachelor's degree. I just want this summer clear so that way I will have no time constraints as far as my sister's wedding and the ceremonies are concerned and I won't have to worry about getting my acceptance revoked because of my bachelor's not being completed upon matriculation.

TAI786 said:
Docbill: You have me all wrong. I have full intentions of completing my bachelor's degree. But I'm thinking along the lines of completing it during the break they give after the 1st year of med school, or maybe even (I know this may sound totally ridiculous considering how much time med school takes out of the day) enrolling part time at a Bradenton vicinity university or community college in Florida during the med school year and transferring those credits to my undergrad uni so I'd complete my bachelor's that way. Whichever route I take, I have no intentions of ignoring my bachelor's degree. I just want this summer clear so that way I will have no time constraints as far as my sister's wedding and the ceremonies are concerned and I won't have to worry about getting my acceptance revoked because of my bachelor's not being completed upon matriculation.

Okay. Good to hear.

Check with your undergrad university if they will accept Medical school courses towards your degree. If these courses have to be specific, check if you can do distance or online courses. I am not sure if you have an institution like that where you live. But where I am we have 3 distance university/colleges to do distance courses. I did 3 courses like this and actually enjoyed it. I was able to finish them faster than one semester.