How strong is Internship in The world Wide Bank for my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ig95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an opportunity for internship in Health Project in World Bank in Tajikistan ( Tajikistan is a country in Central Asia. This is a developing country).It is a project in the field of health system financing, It covers retraining doctors, improves access to the Health Service. I would like to know how strong is an Internship in The World wide Bank for my application? Is it going to increase my chances to be accepted for Medical School?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have an opportunity for internship in Health Project in The World Wide Bank in Tajikistan ( Tajikistan is a country in Central Asia. This is a developing country).It is a project in the field of health system financing, It covers retraining doctors, improves access to the Health Service. I would like to know how strong is an Internship in The World wide Bank for my application? Is it going to increase my chances to be accepted for Medical School?

As with everything, it depends on what you do with it. It could be a nothing that everyone ignores. Or it could actually be an "insta-Harvard" (assuming the rest of your application is up to snuff of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
As with everything, it depends on what you do with it. It could be a nothing that everyone ignores. Or it could actually be an "insta-Harvard" (assuming the rest of your application is up to snuff of course.

To clarify, my "not insta-Harvard" comment was based on

1. My assumption that the OP was implicitly asking whether just having "World Bank Internship" on their application would be good for medical school regardless of what actually took place during the internship
  2. You could theoretically take any EC and do something so revolutionary with it that it becomes an "insta-Harvard" EC; for example, if you're an ED volunteer, but you spearhead designing and implementing a system that moves patients through the admission system in a way that cuts the amount of waiting time they experience by 200% without compromising outcomes or quality of care, then that's extremely impressive even though "ED volunteer/supervisor" is a pretty lackluster title

What if it will be an addition for volunteering in Emergence Department and Clinical Research? I just want to know should I try to do this internship ?

To clarify, my "not insta-Harvard" comment was based on

1. My assumption that the OP was implicitly asking whether just having "World Bank Internship" on their application would be good for medical school regardless of what actually took place during the internship
  2. You could theoretically take any EC and do something so revolutionary with it that it becomes an "insta-Harvard" EC; for example, if you're an ED volunteer, but you spearhead designing and implementing a system that moves patients through the admission system in a way that cuts the amount of waiting time they experience by 200% without compromising outcomes or quality of care, then that's extremely impressive even though "ED volunteer/supervisor" is a pretty lackluster title

That is my point ;). I just liked the term "insta-Harvard".

Reactions: 1 users
What if it will be an addition for volunteering in Emergence Department and Clinical Research? I just want to know should I try to do this internship ?

Make a difference in the lives of other people. Set yourself up to be a better person and future physician. Yes, this is a rather unique opportunity. But, as with ANY experience, you get what you put into either of them. Do it if you have the time and energy to do it well and get something out of it and maybe help people out along the way.

Reactions: 1 user

You should do this internship if you think it's something you are interested in and can make valuable (or at least tangible) contributions to. Don't do it just because you think it'll look good. That will lead to you disliking your experience, your effort levels will fall, your recommendation letter will be tepid, and you'll defeat the purpose of you pursuing this endeavor in the first place.

As mimelim and I have been saying, if you think you can motivate yourself to accomplish something, then yeah, it will be good, maybe even excellent. But don't think having "World Bank" on your app will in itself be impressive.

Reactions: 1 users
Do it because you want to do it, not because it'll look good for med school. Adcoms sniff out that fake ****

You should do this internship if you think it's something you are interested in and can make valuable (or at least tangible) contributions to. Don't do it just because you think it'll look good. That will lead to you disliking your experience, your effort levels will fall, your recommendation letter will be tepid, and you'll defeat the purpose of you pursuing this endeavor in the first place.

As mimelim and I have been saying, if you think you can motivate yourself to accomplish something, then yeah, it will be good, maybe even excellent. But don't think having "World Bank" on your app will in itself be impressive.
Yes, this is what I am interesting in, to help developing countries at least how I can

Yes, this is what I am interesting in, to help developing countries at least how I can

If you do something that you demonstrate interest in or have a passion for and you do it well, it will be viewed favorably, especially if it benefits others.

Hello,

I have an opportunity for internship in Health Project in The World Wide Bank in Tajikistan ( Tajikistan is a country in Central Asia. This is a developing country).It is a project in the field of health system financing, It covers retraining doctors, improves access to the Health Service. I would like to know how strong is an Internship in The World wide Bank for my application? Is it going to increase my chances to be accepted for Medical School?

I've never heard of this project. In and of itself, it may mean little to many, but using your skills to help others in a sustainable way will usually find favor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never heard of this project. In and of itself, it may mean little to many, but using your skills to help others in a sustainable way will usually find favor.
I'm just worried because I'm not going to be able to help the people itself.I'll be just a part of what this project that helps the needy population

I would just like to say I totally misread your original post as "World Bank" and have been commenting based on that.

Changing it to "World Wide Bank" doesn't change any of my comments, except that I would emphasize that (as gyngyn has pointed out), there is no name recognition at all (which reinforces my earlier point that having the name alone will not do you any good by itself).

Edit: I guess it was the World Bank after all!

I'm just worried because I'm not going to be able to help the people itself.I'll be just a part of what this project that helps the needy population

That means you're helping people.

Last edited:
I would just like to say I totally misread your original post as "World Bank" and have been commenting based on that.

Changing it to "World Wide Bank" doesn't change any of my comments, except that I would emphasize that (as gyngyn has pointed out), there is no name recognition at all (which reinforces my earlier point that having the name alone will not do you any good by itself).

That means you're helping people.
Yes, I understand that the work you do and how well you do is more important than just a name

Get the name right... http://www.worldbank.org/en/country/tajikistan

World Bank is a well known entity.
Tajikistan adds a bit of "sexy" as it is not a country many Americans have visited or lived in.
This would be a good use of your time if the subject matter interests you. What will the working conditions be? (Will you be in an office in a city for the duration or in "the field"?) What are the living arrangements for interns? Do you feel that you can adapt to the culture and live, even briefly, as an ex-pat? What are your expectations? What is the reality? Have you talked to others who have lived there or done an internship there. Go with your eyes open, if you go.

Tajikistan adds a bit of "sexy" as it is not a country many Americans have visited or lived in.
This would be a good use of your time if the subject matter interests you. What will the working conditions be? (Will you be in an office in a city for the duration or in "the field"?) What are the living arrangements for interns? Do you feel that you can adapt to the culture and live, even briefly, as an ex-pat? What are your expectations? What is the reality? Have you talked to others who have lived there or done an internship there. Go with your eyes open, if you go.

I will be working in the office, maybe visit sometimes villages to see how work is going. I was born in Tajikistan, so I know their culture and live. And this is one of the reasons I would like to go their, to be a part of changes for the better.

Is any EC really '-insta-Harvard'? haha

Huh so I guess it was the World Bank after all!