How the hell do you fight the internet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The internet is a great thing. It allows me to come on here and be a dry, sarcastic dingus to an entire population of people I normally wouldn't have access to.

Though this is a great tool for advancing said sarcasm, it has become a foe to be reckoned with at my real life pharmacy. I have had people come to me with the biggest bunch of crap ever spouted out by an idiot in the history of the planet. And where do they get it? The internet.

It's gotten to the point where people actually trust google over me. I don't care what the internet says, Fluoride is good for your teeth. I don't care what the internet says, warfarin will not change your genetic code into that of a rat. I don't care what the internet says because I AM SMARTER THAN THE INTERNET.

Stupid internet and it's faux-empowerment of the idiotic general public. It's on a computer, it must be true.

Rant over.

Members don't see this ad.

The internet is a great thing. It allows me to come on here and be a dry, sarcastic dingus to an entire population of people I normally wouldn't have access to.

Though this is a great tool for advancing said sarcasm, it has become a foe to be reckoned with at my real life pharmacy. I have had people come to me with the biggest bunch of crap ever spouted out by an idiot in the history of the planet. And where do they get it? The internet.

It's gotten to the point where people actually trust google over me. I don't care what the internet says, Fluoride is good for your teeth. I don't care what the internet says, warfarin will not change your genetic code into that of a rat. I don't care what the internet says because I AM SMARTER THAN THE INTERNET.

Stupid internet and it's faux-empowerment of the idiotic general public. It's on a computer, it must be true.

Rant over.

But... but... but.... ... .. why would the internet lie to me?! :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Bad day at work?????

Every day is a bad day.

Today was interesting. There was this guy who brought in a script for Xanax. You should have seen him. He was visibly shaking, said he hadn't had it in a few days, just got in from a long walk to the pharmacy, and was chugging a half gallon of chocolate milk.

A tech goes, "Look at that guy, he needs his fix!" About 1 minute later the pharmacist looks over at the guy and says "Sir are you ok?"

The next thing I know, I hear a loud crash and the guy is on the ground having a tonic-clonic seizure. Me and the tech, who is training to become a paramedic, run over, he stabilizes his feet and I put my nice wool peacoat underneath his head to hinder him from giving himself a concussion. He's gurgling up about 75 ccs of chocolate milk, dozens of people are staring at us, and everyone else is just staring at us.

Thankfully, it weaned off. About 5 minutes later he became concious. The paramedics finally get there and I tell them his medical hx and feed him a Xanax. I looked up, it was 12:15. I was suppossed to be on my way to school 15 minutes prior.

I guess he really did need that Xanax, afterall.

Every day is a bad day.

Today was interesting. There was this guy who brought in a script for Xanax. You should have seen him. He was visibly shaking, said he hadn't had it in a few days, just got in from a long walk to the pharmacy, and was chugging a half gallon of chocolate milk.

A tech goes, "Look at that guy, he needs his fix!" About 1 minute later the pharmacist looks over at the guy and says "Sir are you ok?"

The next thing I know, I hear a loud crash and the guy is on the ground having a tonic-clonic seizure. Me and the tech, who is training to become a paramedic, run over, he stabilizes his feet and I put my nice wool peacoat underneath his head to hinder him from giving himself a concussion. He's gurgling up about 75 ccs of chocolate milk, dozens of people are staring at us, and everyone else is just staring at us.

Thankfully, it weaned off. About 5 minutes later he became concious. The paramedics finally get there and I tell them his medical hx and feed him a Xanax. I looked up, it was 12:15. I was suppossed to be on my way to school 15 minutes prior.

I guess he really did need that Xanax, afterall.

wow...never seen this at my pharmacy store....wonder how i would handle thiS?? 911:laugh:

Rant over.

Being smarter than the internet is one thing. But convincing the people you're smarter than the internet is another. You just haven't learn the art of convincing and influencing people yet...like I have. You'll get it one day. :smuggrin:

I especially love the random people who come in who are not one of your regular customers. They ask 20 question about all this stuff they read on the internet, wasting 20 minutes of your time. I think the network news is just as bad. Every time I hear a reporter talk about drugs and a problem I know what to expect the next day at work.

Being smarter than the internet is one thing. But convincing the people you're smarter than the internet is another. You just haven't learn the art of convincing and influencing people yet...like I have. You'll get it one day. :smuggrin:

And...after awhile you realize its just not worth your time to convince them.

They believe what they want to believe - hence all the "performance" vitamins, "mens" vitamins, "women's" vitamins, herbals, supplements....when they could just go down two more aisles & buy some fruits & veggies.

correction...

"my friend said..." >>>Wikipedia>>>you

"my friend said that the news said" that " Lisinopril will give you kidney probelms and shouldn't be used" :eek:

I was wondering what that was all about. Some lady called yesterday and ask me if I had heard about the blood pressure drug that was killing people. She said it was lisinosomething and she saw it on fox news. I had no clue what she was talking about and told her not to worry. If there was a problem such as a recall we were the first to know not the network news. She then tells me she has called several other pharmacies and they hadn't heard anything either. She was going to keep calling around and would let me know if she found out anything...gee thanks, please call back and waste more of my time....

Anyway, when did we go from ACEIs and ARBs helping to delay or prevent kidney failure to all of a sudden they will kill you and destroy your kidneys.....

Anyway, when did we go from ACEIs and ARBs helping to delay or prevent kidney failure to all of a sudden they will kill you and destroy your kidneys.....

...around the same time this twice-convicted-felon, federal-prison-time-serving @sshole became a health guru:

0975599518.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Oh we get those whackos too...I think they come straight from torturing you guys over to us (or maybe they use us as a warm up lol)

We usually get several calls a week about how they read on the internet/someone emailed them the Swiffer Wet Jet or the regular Swiffer Sweeper are killing dogs and "contain a chemical that is only one molecule away from antifreeze!" (yeah well there's a hell of a lot that's only one molecule away from antifreeze but I digress) then they go on about how they had a friend that uses a Swiffer in their kitchen that came over to visit the other day and the cat laid on their shoes and now the cat has ingested something off the shoes and it's magically transformed into antifreeze in his bloodstream and that's the reason their cat is dying from liver failure (never mind the fact that antifreeze intoxication causes kidney failure in cats, ) it couldn't possibly be due to the toxic dose of tylenol they forced down the perfectly normal cat cause his nose 'was dry'....

Jeez, you think with the internet being so popular people'd read Snopes but nooooo, they're smarter than someone with years of post BS schooling (insert PharmD, MD, DVM, toxicologist, etc etc) cause they read it on the internet it must be true!

whew, sorry for the hijack, but thanks for the vent.

I like it when people want to know about the medicines they are taking instead of just taking the magic pills without really knowing why. But a little education is a tricky thing. Problem is a lot of people can barely read, let alone read critically. Just because something is published (especially on the internet) doesnt mean its real. Even published studies go round and round about crap all the time. Eggs are good, eggs are bad, eggs are wonderful!