How the hell do you guys retain all of this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SKaminski

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to start early with my board studying, and finding the amount of information I have to keep track of is just... outstanding. I can focus down and really really know the details of all of the causes of pneumonias, but then information on cariomyopathies starts falling through the cracks. Or if i try to pay attention to all of those, suddenly information regarding all of the arrythmic drugs becomes more vague.

I've only completed 1/3 of my second year, but already the amount is huge. to have to handle 3x this information, in detail, and regurgitate it on a test.... how do you do it?

I've been using anki, but still. I can't think through answers as well as when i've in-depth learned them.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Endless practice questions, uncontrollable sobbing and desperate prayers. I'll let you know if this strategy pays off in 4 months.

Reactions: 9 users
I think how you think op. I guess just endless q's. But Rx only has like 60 questions per system.

The problem is in your question. When you say all of this, not everyone remembers every single detail. Outside a select genius few, you're going to forget things, that's just the way the human mind is. As an MS2, I've forgotten stuff from last year, all I do is try to review as much as possible and I'm content with the fact that I won't remember everything in FA, or my classes. Just try your best and you'll see that you'll remember more than you forget. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
read, re read, re read again. and Qs Qs Qs Qs.
use mnemonics for some drug families.
if you are a visual person use DIT.
and good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I felt like you before I took my step. During the test things did come back though because I had been at it hard for a long time. You get clues from the stem or the question choices that jolt your memory.

You look at everything as many times as you can possibly muster. After that, it's trusting yourself.

Last edited:
to be honest, you really don't retain a lot haha... its really like having a hand full of refrigerator magnets, and throwing them at the freezer door... Something gots to stick right? Just keep throwing magnets, buddy!

I think how you think op. I guess just endless q's. But Rx only has like 60 questions per system.
Rx has like 150-200 questions on each system, if you will do them with 3x FA and pathoma(actively) you will pretty much if not master them but understand all the concepts

Rx has like 150-200 questions on each system, if you will do them with 3x FA and pathoma(actively) you will pretty much if not master them but understand all the concepts
Do you mean read FA 3x? I'm still trying to see how that's possible

Do you mean read FA 3x? I'm still trying to see how that's possible
first time you dont understand sh1t. Second time magic switcher turns on and you MAGICALLY( I just cannot get it how) start to get what were written in this strange, scarry book, third time you understand most of the concepts and can do 2 blocks a day easily with decent score and understanding.(I am on the third pass btw)

Nice! I'm working through first aid as i go through my classes, and keeping the information retained using Anki. Once i finish with this (retained) pass, i want to do another full pass at the start of my dedicated. It just seems so difficult, though

first time you dont understand sh1t. Second time magic switcher turns on and you MAGICALLY( I just cannot get it how) start to get what were written in this strange, scarry book, third time you understand most of the concepts and can do 2 blocks a day easily with decent score and understanding.(I am on the third pass btw)

This is so true. When I went through pathoma for the second time, I started understanding way more than before