How to account for my time from now until I enter medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dazedaisy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from college with a BS in Neuroscience (May 2008), took the MCAT August of 2008, didn't do stellar, but applied anyways and got rejected. I re-took the MCAT in June '09, and I am in the process of re-applying. Although I applied to various clinical jobs last year, I did not get any, partly because I told them I was applying to med school and could only work a year, and plus I was studying for the MCAT.

Now I am trying to figure out what I should write when schools want me to "account for my time between now and when I enter med school." I work part-time retail, and tutor during school days. I really want to get a clinically-related job, but don't know where to begin! I am thinking about doing med. assistant training, but I don't know if that is a good idea!

ANY suggestions!?!?!?!?:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from college with a BS in Neuroscience (May 2008), took the MCAT August of 2008, didn't do stellar, but applied anyways and got rejected. I re-took the MCAT in June '09, and I am in the process of re-applying. Although I applied to various clinical jobs last year, I did not get any, partly because I told them I was applying to med school and could only work a year, and plus I was studying for the MCAT.

Now I am trying to figure out what I should write when schools want me to "account for my time between now and when I enter med school." I work part-time retail, and tutor during school days. I really want to get a clinically-related job, but don't know where to begin! I am thinking about doing med. assistant training, but I don't know if that is a good idea!

ANY suggestions!?!?!?!?:scared:

Shoot I'd get the most non-medical, less stressful, highest paying job I could find. Earn money and relax for the last time in your life.

Medical assistant is a good solid clinical job. However the programs for MA's can be from 6 months to a year. It depends on whether money is a factor and whether the med schools you are applying to stress clinical experience. If its just to get your hands in some patient care, then there are CNA programs that are from 1 to 3 months. There is Patient Care Techs that are like CNA's only they get on the job training and no license. You could also see if your local university / college has an EMT course. Most are only one semester at the basic level. You could always find a nursing home that needs help with patient care. You could even contact all the hospitals / clinics in your area and talk to thier Volunteer coordinator and see about volunteering for the hospital or clinic. Most are only a 6 hour a week commitment. Your volunteer job may not be clinical, but its a way to network and make friends, then ask them about openings for part time, fulltime, or pool positions.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm....MA is pretty expensive, I'm thinking about doing the EMT course, I have some volunteering/shadowing hours. I really haven't done much this year except work part-time, and study for the MCAT. I'm just afraid of schools thinking I'm slacking off after taking the MCAT, I don't really have anything planned out. You guys think its acceptable to put "Job searching" in the application? I mean in all reality, that is what I'm doing, and with this economy...whew

How about saying that you are working as hard as you can to save as much money as you can to help pay for medical school?

just like what someone said above, try to earn while preparing at the same time, i think it would do you well in the future

IMG%5D

Last edited:
I agree with Arkansas Ranger above. Get the best paying job that won't make you go completely nuts.

Don't get a job that is too comfortable, because a hated job is one of the best ways to keep focused on the goal.

However, it does you no good if you come home completely exhausted so you don't have energy to do the studying you need.

As for how you account for it, there seemed to be no problems with me telling the adcoms that I went back to computer programming because I needed something to pay the bills, since I am starting school in 1 month!

Good luck! :luck: