How to Afford International School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhtsThFrequency

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am seriously considering transferring to Edinburgh, if I can get in (currently at VMRCVM in Virginia, so I would be a international student). Maybe even a PhD program versus DVM, as I am more research oriented

But HOW ON EARTHdo you finance this as an international student? Do you just take out loans? Do they have government loans like they do in the US? If so, from where? Are there no Graduate Research Assistant stipends and tuition waivers like there are in the US??

There is no way I can come up with ~30,000$ right off thebat, or even each year, by msyelf. No way.

Members don't see this ad.

At some international schools (and Edinburg is probably one as well) you are able to obtain the Federal Stafford loans as well as Grad Plus loans. You should be able to check on the Government stafford website.

The new Stafford Loan limit per year for Grad students is going up to $20,500 starting in July.

Grad Plus loans are kinda/sorta credit based, but they don't look at credit score and have a relatively low fixed APR, 8.5% but that can be lowered during repayment by paying on time, using auto-debit, etc. I know wachovia will start you off with a 7.95% instead of the 8.5% through your years of college. But then they don't offer huge discounts during repayment on that interest rate. Keep an eye on certain Grad Plus programs though, because not all of the banks let you defer payment until graduation.

I'm glad you asked this as I'm going to Edinburgh this fall and have been scratching my head at finances. I'm waiting to see what the results of the FAFSA will be atm.

I had to take out a lot of loans for undergrad as, unwisely, I chose a very $$$ one. I'm hoping that doesn't come back to bite me my 2nd or 3rd year in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can use my US federal aid? Well, that would sure be nice...I mean hey I'm be going into a helluva lot of debt pretty much anywhere I go, might as well go "back home" :) - my family is from the area.

Yep, sure can use that Federal Aid ;)

I'm heading over to Murdoch Univ in Perth, Australia and that's how I'm funding it.