How to answer the secondary, "how has the pandemic adversely affected your application?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highspeed983

Reaction score
This secondary question is very common, but I have no idea how to answer it in my case. Truthfully, the pandemic sort of helped my application. I played an intercollegiate sport before the pandemic, and when everything was put on hold, I started a clinical job and racked up 1000+ hours. Should I not fill this out since, in many cases, it is optional? Should I discuss how the pandemic caused an early termination of my collegiate sports career?

Members don't see this ad.

This secondary question is very common, but I have no idea how to answer it in my case. Truthfully, the pandemic sort of helped my application. I played an intercollegiate sport before the pandemic, and when everything was put on hold, I started a clinical job and racked up 1000+ hours. Should I not fill this out since, in many cases, it is optional? Should I discuss how the pandemic caused an early termination of my collegiate sports career?
My thoughts:
- If the prompt is specifically asking about how you were adversely affected, then you are better off acknowledging your good fortune instead of filling the space with something disingenuous. e.g., "I am very fortunate to not have been significantly impacted by the pandemic beyond what was experienced by all students."
- If, however, the prompt is asking for how you were affected by the pandemic (note the neutrality), then you can discuss how the pandemic and your pandemic clinical experiences have impacted your views on medicine, your career plans, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
My thoughts:
- If the prompt is specifically asking about how you were adversely affected, then you are better off acknowledging your good fortune instead of filling the space with something disingenuous. e.g., "I am very fortunate to not have been significantly impacted by the pandemic beyond what was experienced by all students."
- If, however, the prompt is asking for how you were affected by the pandemic (note the neutrality), then you can discuss how the pandemic and your pandemic clinical experiences have impacted your views on medicine, your career plans, etc.
On the same note, would you recommend the same for a prompt about academic issues? If my biggest issue was a single B, should I answer, "I am very fortunate not to have significant academic issues." Instead of trying to explain a B and seem disingenuous.

Reactions: 1 user
On the same note, would you recommend the same for a prompt about academic issues? If my biggest issue was a single B, should I answer, "I am very fortunate not to have significant academic issues." Instead of trying to explain a B and seem disingenuous.
Please do not explain a B. That is not an academic issue. Please also don't write: "I am very fortunate not to have significant academic issues." Your doing well academically has nothing to do with your being fortunate, it has to do with the work you put in and/or your innate aptitude for the subject matters. "N/A" is sufficient in my opinion. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 3 users