How to Answer "Why this School"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TurkDorian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would you approach this secondary question? Most of the schools that I applied to, I did so because I was interested in their mission statements, values and other aspects of the school. So, when answering the questions such as "Why do you want to attend our school" should I just state what I liked about the school and why I liked those things or do they want something more unique.

I was wondering because I watched a video on YouTube and the person said that you should be saying something like: "I talked to several professors at your school and really enjoyed learning about their work". However, I don't see how this is a realistic answer as I haven't talked to the faculty of most of the schools that I am planning to apply to.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see the issue here: you've answered your own question. What they want to know is, why are you applying here, and not somewhere else? Besides learning knowledge applicable to medicine, what about this institution is special to you?

No one can answer that for you, that has to be specific and consistent to your set of experiences and qualities...and that's precisely why they ask.

Be honest. If a youtube video sparked your interest, then say so. Theres a reason schools make those videos. If location was something that made you want to apply say that. If the school has a focus (research, rural care, primary care, etc...) say that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be honest, but be realistic, too. I mean, anyone could go through a school's various accolades and mission and say THAT's why they wanted to apply. If any of your activities seem to align with a focus of the school, then elaborate on that. For instance, if a school has a really strong....Native American health outreach...and you also did that sort of work, elaborate on that. But merely saying that you like the research going on isn't really believable to me (unless, of course, you did a big project on genomics and that school is known for their genetics department etc etc).

There are so many reasons why a person has a preference for a particular school...so be honest about that. If you like a school because it's nearby your family and where you think you want to practice, I think that's fair game to say as well.

Be honest? Most choose school lists almost entirely based on gpa+mcat averages, location, and OOS acceptance rate. Writing about that won't work. You basically have to BS it. If you can find some connection to the school that sounds good, try to do that.

Be honest? Most choose school lists almost entirely based on gpa+mcat averages, location, and OOS acceptance rate. Writing about that won't work. You basically have to BS it. If you can find some connection to the school that sounds good, try to do that.

And most people don't get interviewed.

Try this thought experiment: While researching the school, pretend that you have already been accepted and find reasons to make yourself excited to attend.

Reactions: 8 users
I'll say something unique about the school, it's learning style, it's types of labs, etc. I also look at research professors have done and comment how impressed I was on one in particular, especially if it correlates with my research. I just usually keep a list as am going through schools if something pops out at me that really draws me into it and makes me want to be a student there.

Edit: and student clubs and outreach organizations

Reactions: 1 user
If you like a school due to proximity to home, recreational opportunities, or a significant other, put those last on your list of reasons. It's fine to include them, but they should not be the (apparent) primary reason.
Would it be okay to say that "graduates of this school are represented well in the specialty I want?"

I've been mentioning the area the school is in, some specific programs their students can participate in, and maybe a research lab or a particular one of their clinics I'd like to work with.

Reactions: 1 user