muffeoniv

Removed
Oct 8, 2010
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
There is this world class lab (dont want to say the name) that's 5 minutes away from my house and I did a program there last year (I'm a freshman now)... what should I say in terms of trying to get a research opportunity there?.... Should I basically just say I'm interested in genetic research, list my research experience (almost none) and say I'm interested in helping in a labratory where I can start getting a taste for what research is like?

(obviously not in those exact words) any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much

Last edited:

Richardh

10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2008
Status
mention that "after being involved in (the program name you were involved), i am now interested in being involved in research experience. i hope to develop my laboratory techniques and research analysis. i am enthusiastic and determined to learn. i am also committed to dedicate my time and effort in completing any task assigned to me."

something like that...i don't know if it helps but good luck :)

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Are you thinking of asking them to determine why it is you can't seem to utilize internet search engines?

OP, nearly every one of the sixteen threads you've started in the last 3 days have been questions that have been asked, and answered, ad nauseum on SDN. Start making use of the search tool on these forums, please.

About the Ads

Remuneration

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2008
Status
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
How about:

Dear PI,

I am a freshman neurosurgeon/dermatologist/radiologist in training. I have no relevant research skills and see no value in research as an aspiring physician. I have no understanding of your research beyond a vague association with genetics (of which my understanding is likewise limited). However, I consider research an important extracurricular with which to pad my future medical school application. Would you kindly spend tens to hundreds of manhours and thousands of dollars to train me (a letter of recommendation would also be nice) so that I can dally about the lab for six months, accomplishing nothing of value, before moving on to other obligatory learning experiences?

Thanks a bunch,

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2010
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
How to approach a research labOratory?

Walk slowly, make sure you are not approaching from a blind spot, speak in calming tones, and offer your hand to be sniffed

orthomyxo

10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2009
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
How about:

Dear PI,

I am a freshman neurosurgeon/dermatologist/radiologist in training. I have no relevant research skills and see no value in research as an aspiring physician. I have no understanding of your research beyond a vague association with genetics (of which my understanding is likewise limited). However, I consider research an important extracurricular with which to pad my future medical school application. Would you kindly spend tens to hundreds of manhours and thousands of dollars to train me (a letter of recommendation would also be nice) so that I can dally about the lab for six months, accomplishing nothing of value, before moving on to other obligatory learning experiences?

Thanks a bunch,

How to approach a research labOratory?

Walk slowly, make sure you are not approaching from a blind spot, speak in calming tones, and offer your hand to be sniffed
Double win! :laugh:

tabascosauce

my temper short but my money long
7+ Year Member
May 24, 2010
if you did a program there then i would imagine you would do the same thing and ask

Oct 8, 2010
Michigan
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
how about:

Dear pi,

i am a freshman neurosurgeon/dermatologist/radiologist in training. I have no relevant research skills and see no value in research as an aspiring physician. I have no understanding of your research beyond a vague association with genetics (of which my understanding is likewise limited). However, i consider research an important extracurricular with which to pad my future medical school application. Would you kindly spend tens to hundreds of manhours and thousands of dollars to train me (a letter of recommendation would also be nice) so that i can dally about the lab for six months, accomplishing nothing of value, before moving on to other obligatory learning experiences?

Thanks a bunch,

lol 10/10. Gj

Jul 15, 2012
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
How about:

Dear PI,

Thanks a bunch,

Awesome! Absolutely perfect, mind if I copy and paste this into my all of my internship apps? ; )

Jun 11, 2012
Status
  1. Pre-health Advisor
How about:

Dear PI,

Thanks a bunch,

Honestly, this is why I never bothered to ask around my professors to get research. I felt like I wasn't worthy and I would be insincere if I asked. Regret it so much now that I have so little research experience :(

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads