How to Approach a Research Labratory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muffeoniv

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is this world class lab (dont want to say the name) that's 5 minutes away from my house and I did a program there last year (I'm a freshman now)... what should I say in terms of trying to get a research opportunity there?.... Should I basically just say I'm interested in genetic research, list my research experience (almost none) and say I'm interested in helping in a labratory where I can start getting a taste for what research is like?

(obviously not in those exact words) any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
mention that "after being involved in (the program name you were involved), i am now interested in being involved in research experience. i hope to develop my laboratory techniques and research analysis. i am enthusiastic and determined to learn. i am also committed to dedicate my time and effort in completing any task assigned to me."

something like that...i don't know if it helps but good luck :)

Are you thinking of asking them to determine why it is you can't seem to utilize internet search engines?

OP, nearly every one of the sixteen threads you've started in the last 3 days have been questions that have been asked, and answered, ad nauseum on SDN. Start making use of the search tool on these forums, please.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about:

Dear PI,

I am a freshman neurosurgeon/dermatologist/radiologist in training. I have no relevant research skills and see no value in research as an aspiring physician. I have no understanding of your research beyond a vague association with genetics (of which my understanding is likewise limited). However, I consider research an important extracurricular with which to pad my future medical school application. Would you kindly spend tens to hundreds of manhours and thousands of dollars to train me (a letter of recommendation would also be nice) so that I can dally about the lab for six months, accomplishing nothing of value, before moving on to other obligatory learning experiences?

Thanks a bunch,

Last edited:
How to approach a research labOratory?

Walk slowly, make sure you are not approaching from a blind spot, speak in calming tones, and offer your hand to be sniffed

How about:

Dear PI,

I am a freshman neurosurgeon/dermatologist/radiologist in training. I have no relevant research skills and see no value in research as an aspiring physician. I have no understanding of your research beyond a vague association with genetics (of which my understanding is likewise limited). However, I consider research an important extracurricular with which to pad my future medical school application. Would you kindly spend tens to hundreds of manhours and thousands of dollars to train me (a letter of recommendation would also be nice) so that I can dally about the lab for six months, accomplishing nothing of value, before moving on to other obligatory learning experiences?

Thanks a bunch,

How to approach a research labOratory?

Walk slowly, make sure you are not approaching from a blind spot, speak in calming tones, and offer your hand to be sniffed
Double win! :laugh:

how about:

Dear pi,

i am a freshman neurosurgeon/dermatologist/radiologist in training. I have no relevant research skills and see no value in research as an aspiring physician. I have no understanding of your research beyond a vague association with genetics (of which my understanding is likewise limited). However, i consider research an important extracurricular with which to pad my future medical school application. Would you kindly spend tens to hundreds of manhours and thousands of dollars to train me (a letter of recommendation would also be nice) so that i can dally about the lab for six months, accomplishing nothing of value, before moving on to other obligatory learning experiences?

Thanks a bunch,

lol 10/10. Gj

How about:

Dear PI,

Thanks a bunch,

Awesome! Absolutely perfect, mind if I copy and paste this into my all of my internship apps? ; )

How about:

Dear PI,

Thanks a bunch,

Honestly, this is why I never bothered to ask around my professors to get research. I felt like I wasn't worthy and I would be insincere if I asked. Regret it so much now that I have so little research experience :(