How to approach admissions people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i think there was a thread on this but I can't track it down on this forum. What I was wondering is what to ask admissions people, I know they can tell you what they look for in an applicant but I'm not quite sure if it's wise to ask them what course of action to take as a remedy to weaknesses(GPA less than 3.0, DAT scores that are low, dated coursework etc....). I'm finding out that some are more helpful then others, as some of you know. How much weight should I put into their suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

One of the real benefits of contacing adcoms IS to find out what they recommend to remedy a part of your application.

That is probably the most helpful and beneficial thing you can do when speaking with adcoms. Ask them what THEY would do to make the application look better. After all, they are selecting the applications so who would know better?

Just flat out ask them!

Originally posted by ItsGavinC
One of the real benefits of contacing adcoms IS to find out what they recommend to remedy a part of your application.

That is probably the most helpful and beneficial thing you can do when speaking with adcoms. Ask them what THEY would do to make the application look better. After all, they are selecting the applications so who would know better?

Just flat out ask them!

So true! I have been universally told by adcoms that the only real way I can remedy a part of my application aside from already enrolling in post-bacc is to ace the DAT and apply early. Well, I can't apply early now since June and July is early. But I can ace the DAT so that's where my focus is.

It's pretty much the same old theme. If you have a really low GPA, to be competitive you need high DAT scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gavin,
should I be as specific as to how bad my GPA is?

I just mention it's below 3.0.

i would say be specific, it cant hurt. they will see it anyways.