How to approach your rank order list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timtye78

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It sounds simple, but I am always surprised at how many rumors there are among med students regarding this rank order list that you must list if you are applying to ERAS.

For starters, look at the interviews you went on, and literally just pick the number one place you would like to go, and then the second, and so on and so on.

Many people I knew second-guessed the system and suspected there was some way they could either outsmart the system at its own game, or some actually believe that any program can view your list, and see where you are ranking them.

This leads to false fear (don't you have enough already?) and trying to play games. I personally feel like if you try to second-guess the system, it could possibly backfire.

If you are applying to multiple specialties, it gets a little trickier but I recommend first deciding which specialty you want the most, ranking those, and then moving to your second choice specialty and rank them. No, no one will ever know that you applied to more than one specialty, but do NOT advertise this on the interview trail. It simply should remain your own business. If geography actually alters your specialty choice, and legitimately so because it is your life, then you must decide on a program by program basis.

The system basically is jilted to the MD/DO applicant. It tries to match you at your number one, and then assuming this fails it moves to your next, and so on and so on. If you take the time to read the website, you can find this to be true.

I hope this clears up some of the myths regarding the rank order list.
Any questions, I would be happy to help!
Tim

Members don't see this ad.

All good advice. And remember, the invisible end to every rank list is choice n+1: SCRAMBLE. Don't be one of the overconfident buffoons who only rank 3 or 5 places and subsequently don't match!

alternatively, don't ever rank a place that you don't want to go. once you match, you are legally obligated to go there.

Pilot Doc said:
All good advice. And remember, the invisible end to every rank list is choice n+1: SCRAMBLE. Don't be one of the overconfident buffoons who only rank 3 or 5 places and subsequently don't match!