How to ask for recommendations letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rl91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what way do most of you guys approach on asking for a recommendation letter? I'm wanting to ask one of my professors, an advisor, and one of my PTs that I'm shadowing. Should it be through email? And what should I exactly include in the email when asking for it? I know partially about it but just want to make sure before I make and shoot out these emails!

Appreciate it guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I did mine through email because I had already graduated and no longer lived in the area, but if you live in the area, in person may be nice. I basically just told each individual what I was doing, why I wanted them to write a letter, and what I wanted them to include in the letter. I also sent them a copy of my resume and a draft of my personal statement, so they got more of an idea as to why I wanted to go into physical therapy. It doesn't have to be too lengthy, but do make sure to thank you them and let them exactly why you chose them, and not some other professor or pt or advisor. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Also, be sure to give them a deadline of when to have it finished. Make sure that the deadline you give them provides you with a cushion for the deadline the schools have on applications/when you are submitting. (This protects you in the unfortunate case that they are unable to complete it, forget about it, etc.) Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always asked in person if I still saw them...then followed up with an email after they said yes. I also told them a deadline that was months earlier than needed because none of them are prompt. And don't feel awkward about asking....they get asked all the time, you won't be the first or last

I asked those who wrote a letter for me in person... It's harder for them to say no that way, ha ;). In all seriousness, if they're going to write you a personal recommendation letter, you should be able to ask them in person for it. I followed up with an e-mail and more details, like my personal statement letter, unofficial transcript, and extra-curricular info, after they agreed to write one. Also make sure when you are asking the person to give them enough time to actually write a nice letter, and give them a due date before you actually need to turn it in. This way, you have extra time if they do not get it sent/back to you on time. Good luck!

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the replies!