How to get a recommendation letter from a Professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PT2024-2027

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello hi my name is Shibin Kalathil Sebastian. I am currently an 2nd year undegraduate student trying to pursue a career in Physical Therapy. What are some ways to get to know your professor and hopefully get a letter recommendation from them?

Members don't see this ad.

It’s easier if you go to a smaller school with smaller classes so the professor will know your name just from going to class. But if you go to a large school you can meet them in office hours to ask questions so they can get to know you better

For me personally, I went to a large school so most of my prerequisite classes had hundreds of students, and going to office hours or staying after class to talk to the professor isn’t really my thing. So I literally just emailed some professors when I was applying to PT school and told them my name, which course I took with them and when, and what my grade was, and asked if they could write me an LOR for PT school. Most obliged. Obviously it was likely a pretty basic LOR since they didn’t know me personally, but having a basic one is better than not having it at all if it’s a requirement

Then I used my time during observation hours to get to know the PT’s I was shadowing to ensure I’d have really positive letters from them. It’s much easier to develop a relationship with them than it is with professors in my opinion. Also I knew I’d have a really strong LOR from my employer, so I figured a basic one from a professor wouldn’t be the end of the world

Last edited:
Hello hi my name is Shibin Kalathil Sebastian. I am currently an 2nd year undegraduate student trying to pursue a career in Physical Therapy. What are some ways to get to know your professor and hopefully get a letter recommendation from them?
Speaking as a former professor - you can hang back after class one day and just say something like hi, wanted to formally introduce myself formally, these are my career aspirations & why I am taking your course. This establishes a relationship and lets them put a name to a face. You don't need to ask unnecessary content questions, you can literally just intro yourself. I'm sure this is harder in larger classes but it does help to have even a quick 30s intro.
If you've already taken the course, you can just email them and say Hi I took this course this semester, I earned a whatever grade, was wondering if you could write an LOR.
I never did this but some professors (and HCPs) will ask you to write the letter & they will just sign it. So if the person is quite busy or lagging on doing it, offer to do this for them. I know it sounds weird to write your own but it's not uncommon at all.

Be an active participant in class. Make sure they know your name. Show up to office hours and be involved. And get an A. Most of my professors actually told us what requirements they had so I made sure to meet them!