How to ask PI if you can present poster

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chibucks15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I can't tell if I'm in a unique situation or not so figured I'd ask around

I got connected with a PI who has already completed a project and presented it abroad a few years ago. I wrote it up as a manuscript and he said he'd give me second author. It's still in the tweaking phase so who knows when/if it'll get published. My school does a research symposium for students to present the projects they've worked on and makes a full conference out of it. What's the best way to go about asking if I can present it? Basically I don't want to come off as taking credit for his work and presenting it but he did say he'd make me second author on the paper. Currently my idea is to straight up ask but I have zero experience in research and honestly would like an eventual letter outta this guy

It's pretty much done already so putting a poster on my CV and presenting at a conference would be an easy boost, because I could use all the boost I can get Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

"Hey so you had mentioned that you would put me as second author on that project, because you are putting me as an author would you mind if I made a poster on it and presented it at the school's research symposium?"

Don't over think it.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey so I can't tell if I'm in a unique situation or not so figured I'd ask around

I got connected with a PI who has already completed a project and presented it abroad a few years ago. I wrote it up as a manuscript and he said he'd give me second author. It's still in the tweaking phase so who knows when/if it'll get published. My school does a research symposium for students to present the projects they've worked on and makes a full conference out of it. What's the best way to go about asking if I can present it? Basically I don't want to come off as taking credit for his work and presenting it but he did say he'd make me second author on the paper. Currently my idea is to straight up ask but I have zero experience in research and honestly would like an eventual letter outta this guy

It's pretty much done already so putting a poster on my CV and presenting at a conference would be an easy boost, because I could use all the boost I can get Thanks.

I think if he offered second author, he would probably be ok with you presenting at the symposium. The symposium isn't really a high achievement for PI's as far as I'm aware; it will be recorded on his accomplishments regardless. Everyone knows it's his work being presented, so I doubt he would care if you were the one presenting it, if that makes sense. I would say it's pretty likely that you can present, but depending on who it is, be ready to be coached heavily on how it is to be presented. Congrats though, that's awesome!

Also, I've never done research or presented outside of teaching. So, ya know...take it for what it's worth.

Members don't see this ad :)
"I want to do a poster presentation about the research. Is that okay with you?"

The answer will be yes and that's the end of the story. Sometimes I wonder how you guys function as people in society being so anxious about asking for the most minimal things

Reactions: 1 users
"I want to do a poster presentation about the research. Is that okay with you?"

The answer will be yes and that's the end of the story. Sometimes I wonder how you guys function as people in society being so anxious about asking for the most minimal things
I haven't had any research experience and didn't wanna step on the toes of a guy who's hard to get a hold of as is, and I didn't know if there was some unspoken heirarchy in research land about these things. I'm just doing it to check a box. Comin in hot man cmon now

I haven't had any research experience and didn't wanna step on the toes of a guy who's hard to get a hold of as is, and I didn't know if there was some unspoken heirarchy in research land about these things. I'm just doing it to check a box. Comin in hot man cmon now
Haha. You sound like a good guy, but you're definitely overthinking it.

Reactions: 1 user
Consider spinning off the data you already have and use a different angle to make a poster. This way you can submit it to regional/national conferences. It does not have to be elaborate, but it would mean a lot more than presenting at your schools symposium.

Reactions: 2 users