How to balance community interviews with residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heeyebsx3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My main goal is to get a PGY1 residency, I'll be submitting my applications in two weeks or so. However I just got an interview offer for a community position and am unsure how to proceed. I assume I should obviously take at least the interview, but in the event I'm offered the position what is my best course of action considering my goal Is a residency which I won't know about for another 3 months.

Also, should I be upfront with them in interviews about my goals and career plans concerning residencies?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would say don’t tell them about residency. You’d be shooting yourself in the foot for absolutely no reason. Do the retail interview and take the offer if it comes. If you get a residency, back out. There are no shortage of people who can replace you if you withdraw your offer.

I would say don’t tell them about residency. You’d be shooting yourself in the foot for absolutely no reason. Do the retail interview and take the offer if it comes. If you get a residency, back out. There are no shortage of people who can replace you if you withdraw your offer.
Thank you! That was really my main question, if I can back out of an offer just in case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uh, backing out of a residency match is burning the bridge with all ASHP residencies in the country (95%+). If you choose the retail gig, it better be worth it lol.

It matters if you’re unemployed, in $250k+ debt and desperate for any job after residency

Based on what I’ve read on this forum, most retail hiring managers will shred a PGY1 hospital based resident’s resume on sight. They know they will jet to a hospital position first chance they have anyways.

Based on what I’ve read on this forum, most retail hiring managers will shred a PGY1 hospital based resident’s resume on sight. They know they will jet to a hospital position first chance they have anyways.
True. So doing a residency = big risk, little reward. And going straight into retail = moderate risk, no reward. It’s pretty much a lose-lose situation for any pharmacy student nowadays. How people are even still interested in becoming a pharmacist is beyond me.

Reactions: 1 user
Uh, backing out of a residency match is burning the bridge with all ASHP residencies in the country (95%+). If you choose the retail gig, it better be worth it lol.
Well no, I don't plan on backing out of the match at all. I plan on backing out of the retail job incase I match.

Well no, I don't plan on backing out of the match at all. I plan on backing out of the retail job incase I match.

I see, this statement was a little ambiguous.