How to be competitive for top programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Govols22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am a first year MD student who is strongly interested in PM&R. I majored in Exercise Science in undergrad due to my interest in the musculoskeletal system, and I worked as a PT aide in an inpatient rehab setting for about a year. I was curious to how helpful my background will be when it comes to showing that I am a good "fit" for PM&R.

But more importantly, what step score should I try to aim for? And how necessary is research?

Members don't see this ad.

many programs set cutoff at USMLE 200 and COMLEX 500, though I’ve seen people pull it off with worse. Obviously, the better score the you get, the more competitive you’ll be getting interviews. Your background will probably help set yourself apart on interviews and personal statement. I’d endorse auditioning...having people work with you gives them more more reassure about your competency, work ethic, and personality...all of which are not always easy to sort out on paper.

Reactions: 1 users