How to become a better candidate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shimmi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I got around 6 months before I'll begin applying to PT schools so i was wondering what I could do to become a better candidate (besides acing the GREs and getting first aid/CPR certified). Are there any other licenes/certifications i could obtain in this time period?

I have about 150 hours of outpatient PT volunteer experience. I am currently looking for a job as a PT aide which i think is a good position for someone like me. What else can I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend developing a strong relationship with a Physical Therapist and an Academic contact. Also improving on your interviewing skills. This includes focusing your interests with PT and what skill sets you bring to the profession. Each program is very different in their philosophy (some more research based others more volunteer/giving)

Good luck!

I recommend getting some hours in other types of PT settings. I didn't realize how important that was until it was too late to start, so start now!

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to get in-patient experience!!!

I recommend getting some hours in other types of PT settings. I didn't realize how important that was until it was too late to start, so start now!

I definately agree. PT schools like to see observation hours in different settings. It makes you a more competitive applicant. I would suggest getting a job as a PT aide in an outpatient practice part time and then the other days try to volunteer in a hospital and skilled nursing facility.

Agreed. Get a variety of experiences. I managed to get a job as a PT aide working three 10 hour days and 2 five hour days. On those half days I was in other settings. Spending 50 hours a week in a PT clinic was pretty rough but also probably the best thing I could have done for my application.