How to become a domestic student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeepSpacer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a US citizen and recently got accepted to USyd. I'm trying to find ways to reduce my costs and think if I can become a NZ citizen, my tuition fees with go down drastically.

However, when I was reading my acceptance contract I noticed that if I get citizenship before enrollment, my offer can be revoked. A scary thought indeed. The letter also said that the date of citizenship is based on the date stamped on my passport.

So I was wondering if SDNers could clarify this...so even if I get a NZ passport before enrollment, my ability to retain my offer really only depends on the date I go through customs and enter Australia?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You are too late, you should have had PR before you even applied. Yes, if you get PR or citizenship while enrolled at USyd as an international student they will throw you out. Having citizenship from NZ has the same effect as Australian citizenship or PR. You will lose your space in school.

Getting expensive? Yes the cost of USyd is crazy. Also a big risk considering that there are more medical students in Oz and more medical students in the US which means fewer residencies for IMGs.

The Fed just decided on a second round of quantitative easing, meaning the Dollar is going to lose more value and it will get more expensive to study in Oz.

The other issue is that state governments are unlikely to guarantee internships for international students because so many run out on them once they get a spot in North America.

A couple of years ago, you would simply be placed into a local full fee paying spot but they got rid of those after a lot of uproar. The moment they accept you as an international that contract goes into effect so if you get PR during school you will get kicked out.

As of late, some schools have changed the admissions process for internationals. USyd used to have pretty intense MMI that both locals and internationals had to take, and about 50 percent of those interviewed got an offer. USyd got rid of interviews for international students and also increased the number of international students, which to me means they made it easier for international students to get in than for locals.

Last edited: