How to become a michigan resident as a student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kawaii

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am currently a california resident and planning on attending UM. I was wondering if there is any way I can apply for michigan residency. I am prepared to pay 50,000+ for the first year, however, it will be great if I can become michigan resident and pay less for the rest of my dental school education. If anyone has any information, please reply. Thank you so much ^^

Members don't see this ad.

Don't think so! You need to be working in Michigan for one continuous year. For tuition purposes, they're STICKLERS about it. I have a friend that wanted in-state tuition for UofM undergrad. He legitimately worked for one year, but the financial aid office made him bring in reciepts for his *groceries* for the year he lived in Mich to prove that he was living, eating, and working here.

If there is a way to get around this rule, I'd certainly be interested in knowing. I'm in UMich med school. I have a fellowship, but my out-of-state friends are paying $10,000 more than my in-state friends!

Kawaii is a California traitor....
tongue.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Doggie:
Kawaii is a California traitor....
tongue.gif

Welcome to the DARK SIDE (cue scary music)...

U of Mich is one of the state universities that is attempting to become more self sufficient. Those of you in the U of Mich medical, dental, and law schools have likely noticed that even the resident tuition rates are closer in line to those of private universities than to those still found at many state universities. U of Mich's reasoning for such a policy is as follows. Students in such programs have no trouble getting sufficient grants and loans to cover their costs. Graduates of such programs will be in position to receive either good starting pay or tuition reibursements once they are in the work force.

As a person who's been through the hassle of dealing with Michigan's residency requirements... trust me when I say... IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!!

They are VERY strict about residency requirements, and I had a tough enough time proving I was a resident, and I was only out of state for one year during college!

Honestly, there's no way you'd be able to make instate tuition unless you stay here and work for a year or more before applying.

------------------
Chris Sortman
University of Michigan
School of Dentistry

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">orginally posted by csortman:
As a person who's been through the hassle of dealing with Michigan's residency requirements... trust me when I say... IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!!•

however, as someone who has also played the residency game, there are things you can do to help your cause:

1. get a Michigan Drivers License as soon as you arrive -- sooner is better

2. register as a Michigan voter

3. File a Michigan tax return

4. Even a part time job will count

The key is to prove that even if you weren't in school you would still be in Michigan and are, therefore, a resident. If you have ANY family in the area (dig up dead relatives) this will help too. Talk to your program advisor. I'm sure they get this question all the time and might be able to guide you better. Also, you might try to touch base with some second years who are in your shoes.

good luck,
MAAT