1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

How to become a michigan resident as a student?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Kawaii, Apr 12, 2001.

1. Kawaii

Kawaii Junior Member

Hey guys,
    I am currently a california resident and planning on attending UM. I was wondering if there is any way I can apply for michigan residency. I am prepared to pay 50,000+ for the first year, however, it will be great if I can become michigan resident and pay less for the rest of my dental school education. If anyone has any information, please reply. Thank you so much ^^

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ned

ned Member

Don't think so! You need to be working in Michigan for one continuous year. For tuition purposes, they're STICKLERS about it. I have a friend that wanted in-state tuition for UofM undergrad. He legitimately worked for one year, but the financial aid office made him bring in reciepts for his *groceries* for the year he lived in Mich to prove that he was living, eating, and working here.

If there is a way to get around this rule, I'd certainly be interested in knowing. I'm in UMich med school. I have a fellowship, but my out-of-state friends are paying $10,000 more than my in-state friends!

4. Doggie

Doggie Professional Jackass

Kawaii is a California traitor.... [​IMG]

5. ned

ned Member

Welcome to the DARK SIDE (cue scary music)...

6. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member

U of Mich is one of the state universities that is attempting to become more self sufficient. Those of you in the U of Mich medical, dental, and law schools have likely noticed that even the resident tuition rates are closer in line to those of private universities than to those still found at many state universities. U of Mich's reasoning for such a policy is as follows. Students in such programs have no trouble getting sufficient grants and loans to cover their costs. Graduates of such programs will be in position to receive either good starting pay or tuition reibursements once they are in the work force.

7. csortman

csortman Junior Member

As a person who's been through the hassle of dealing with Michigan's residency requirements... trust me when I say... IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!!

They are VERY strict about residency requirements, and I had a tough enough time proving I was a resident, and I was only out of state for one year during college!

Honestly, there's no way you'd be able to make instate tuition unless you stay here and work for a year or more before applying.

------------------
    Chris Sortman
    University of Michigan
    School of Dentistry

8. MAAT

MAAT Senior Member

however, as someone who has also played the residency game, there are things you can do to help your cause:

1. get a Michigan Drivers License as soon as you arrive -- sooner is better

2. register as a Michigan voter

3. File a Michigan tax return

4. Even a part time job will count

The key is to prove that even if you weren't in school you would still be in Michigan and are, therefore, a resident. If you have ANY family in the area (dig up dead relatives) this will help too. Talk to your program advisor. I'm sure they get this question all the time and might be able to guide you better. Also, you might try to touch base with some second years who are in your shoes.

good luck,
    MAAT

9. Lola9090

Pre-Pharmacy
    Will getting an apartment count?