How to become a PT/OT. Interview Advice Video.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Romazicon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found a great video giving some advice about applying to PT school. A good watch.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That is a great video! thank you for posting. I'm trying to prepare for my first interview on Nov. 21st so I'm looking for all the tips I can get. I might even look into getting that book :)

That is a great video! thank you for posting. I'm trying to prepare for my first interview on Nov. 21st so I'm looking for all the tips I can get. I might even look into getting that book :)
You're welcome! Some of the stuff they talked about would've really helped me out months ago when I decided to apply for PT School. I literally did everything they said, but I had to learn the hard way was not all that prepared. The book isn't that expensive and it would be a good read (and it won't hurt to pass it down to friends who plan to apply later). :D I may get it just so I have it in case anyone else asks for help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had plenty of friends who interviewed for PA that have practice questions but I'm assuming interview questions for a PT program will be much different. I haven't had much luck finding helpful sources but I know that if I don't at least try to prepare myself then I will not go into the interview with confidence, which is very important!

I've had plenty of friends who interviewed for PA that have practice questions but I'm assuming interview questions for a PT program will be much different. I haven't had much luck finding helpful sources but I know that if I don't at least try to prepare myself then I will not go into the interview with confidence, which is very important!
I have a friend who just interviewed for PA school at the same school where I interviewed for PT (and got accepted). Mine was a group interview, very relaxed, but tough questions. Hers was herself alone with 10 members of the admissions committee. She bought a book with practice questions and she said that it was a waste of time. For myself, I searched questions here and there and they actually helped me! Some of the questions were asked during my interview. I will paste some here.

1. Why do you want to be a PT?
2. What characteristics do you need to have to be a PT?
3. What are your strengths/weaknesses? (know 3 of each)
4. What sets you apart from other applicants?
5. What are your favorite hobbies?
6. What are your passions?
7. What is your favorite movie/book/song?
8. What is the volunteer experience in PT that stands out to you the most?
9. What would you do if one of your classmates was cheating?
10. What would you do if one of your co-workers was cutting corners at work and not pulling
their weight?
11. Give an example of a situation in which you were responsible for someone else.
12. What are you planning to do if you don’t get accepted into PT school?
13. Can you justify the grades you made if they were less than perfect?
14. What do you do if you have problems in class?
15. What are some of the issues facing PT’s?
16. Give an example of a patient you have impacted and how?
17. What communication skills are important to a Physical Therapist?
18. The PT program is known to be a very academically intense program. How will you handle the stress?
19. What life experiences have you had that have made you a better person?
20. Describe some of your most challenging and enjoyable observations?
21. With what population do you anticipate wanting to work?

What is your opinion on Vision 2020? What do you think it means? Where do you see the profession going in the future?

The ones in bold were the ones that were close to the ones asked during my interview, plus some extra ones! (1 hr interview; 2 applicants [including myself] and 1 professor from the PT department)

I literally wrote down all of the answers for each of these questions and practice each day for a couple of days before my interview. But I made sure not to make it same rehearsed. When I interviewed I just remembered the key things that I practiced and my answers felt more natural.

They asked about your favorite book/movie? That's almost the most difficult question for me haha
How did you like the group interview? I've heard midwestern does a group interview. Did you try to be the first to answer or allow others to answer first? Do you think that matters to the interviewer?

@ashnicolee43 Oh, and some questions you may ask could be:

1. Between being a professor [or their role in the admission committee] and family, how do you find time for yourself? And how do you use that time?
2. What is your favorite novel?
3. Are there any research opportunities offered to DPT students?
4. Where do you see physical therapy in 10 years?
5. What does the program have to offer in this school that sets it apart from others?

It may be hard asking them questions since most of the questions you try to come up beforehand are more than likely answered by the time that you interview. I had tons of questions, but we had a 45 min information session before the interviews and all of my questions were pretty much answered :( So I went with my gut and asked random, but great questions that were specific to the professor that interviewed me. Also, we were lucky to get some tips about each interviewer by the admissions director before we went in! ;)

Reactions: 1 user
They asked about your favorite book/movie? That's almost the most difficult question for me haha
How did you like the group interview? I've heard midwestern does a group interview. Did you try to be the first to answer or allow others to answer first? Do you think that matters to the interviewer?

I was asked what's my favorite book and which has been that last book that you read. Oh maaan. lol. I talked about Game of Thrones, and she was a fan! ;) So it worked out.

My group interview was only 2 of us and the professor. You know, most of the questions came natural to me so I spoke up first in 80% of them. I did give the other applicant a couple of seconds to answer (but the questions were tricky so I understood that she was thinking). I nailed some of the questions, but I also knew that some of my answers were not all that great (while the other applicant had time to think of great ones!). I say if you answer first, don't start too quick. Give it a little, even if you have an answer right off the bat. See if others have anything to say. It all depends if you have more than 2 applicants per interview AND if the interviewer actually CHOOSES who to answer. Eek!

It always helps when you and the interviewer have equal interests! it would be funny if the last book I read was "So you want to be a therapist" :p I probably shouldn't mention that one!

What is your opinion on Vision 2020? What do you think it means? Where do you see the profession going in the future?

Did they really ask you about Vision 2020? Do they know that it is no longer the APTA vision? It was replaced in 2013... If I was asked about 2020, I would probably point this out and say how it influenced the current vision statement, which was the prompt for the PTCAS essay.

Did they really ask you about Vision 2020? Do they know that it is no longer the APTA vision? It was replaced in 2013... If I was asked about 2020, I would probably point this out and say how it influenced the current vision statement, which was the prompt for the PTCAS essay.
Not specifically Vision 2020, but I was asked about what we knew that was currently going on in the PT world. I mentioned direct access and how our state (TX) is still battling for it and we went on talking about it and Vision 2020 was brought up (which still is sort of relevant). But what I meant when I "bolded" those questions was that it was something related to it.

Every time I think I know the difference between PT and OT, I learn something else that contradicts it. When it comes to working in the industry a PT and OT in the same setting can basically do each other's job? Why is there a need for 2 completely separate associations, schools, etc...? Could someone shed some light on this? Like is there one sure fire thing that separates the two professions?