How to become a TA

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is a "TA". Teachers assistant? I know that college students can become them. But how? And does it look good?

What are the pro's/con's? What else can you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally you have to do well in the class you want to teach. Then you can talk to the professor/dept head for that course. That's how I got my TA job. Honestly, it wasn't a major part of my application. I don't think I was ever asked about it in an interview.

The pay is modest. I made $10/hr or so, minus taxes and it was capped at 20hrs a week. But it did buy some groceries which was good. I taught a Gen Chem lab. Nothing too rough.

The pros are that you get some good teaching experience and it can be fun. Money is always good.

The cons are that Undergrads aren't always the most enthusiastic learners. Esp if you're teaching a freshman class and it's for non-majors. You have to grade assignments, you're responsible for keeping the scores and keeping track of everyone's attendance. Also, someone always either spills acid on themself or sets themself on fire.

At my school most TA's are grad students. However some exceptions are made, I've never TAed what I did do was teach SI (Supplemental Instruction) which is like tutoring. To do that you had to show mastery (Get an A) in the area. The pay was okay and it was only like 20 hours a week also but I enjoyed it alot and I think will help me with PBL schools where Peer to peer learning is valued.

As far as does it help: If you are teaching something it shows communication skills and a subject mastery, both of which never hurt. It won't make or break any application but if you like it do it.

(Also it normally pays better than general school employment so that is nice if you have to work)

Members don't see this ad :)
Which case does a medical school prefer ? Being a TA for college students or being a tutor for high school students while in college years ?

Last edited:
Generally speaking what you do in high school is insignificant. They really couldn't care less unless it is something you continued on through college.

Generally speaking what you do in high school is insignificant. They really couldn't care less unless it is something you continued on through college.

I meant to say that being a TA for high school students during college years.

oh well in that case it really just depends. The TA is nice because it shows mastery of something College level v.s. High school level. Not sure that it is all together that significant though.

oh well in that case it really just depends. The TA is nice because it shows mastery of something College level v.s. High school level. Not sure that it is all together that significant though.

Thank you :thumbup: