How to best guess which journal I have a better chance of getting accepted to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

propsych

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am writing a paper and am trying to decide if submitting to a journal with a high IF means it is automatically much more difficult to get accepted.

This is my first 1st author paper, and first paper I'm submitting period.

I am interested in the Journal of Environmental Psychology, and I have looked through their papers for fit, methods, sample size typically published (all seems in line) etc. but is there anything else I could look at to help me decide where to submit to?

Basically, is there any way to reduce the possibility of wasting my time submitting somewhere I basically have no chance of getting into?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, for the first submission, if you are not under a tight time crunch, shoot a little high as long as it's a good fit. Worst case, you get rejected outright. Better than worse case, you get rejected and get some good feedback for edits. Best case, revise and resubmit. If it's rejected, then move down to your next choice that is still a good fit.

As for fit, what is that journal publishing. Look through the last year and see if your article would fit in. Additionally, what journals are the papers you are citing in your paper publishing in? That's usually a good place to start looking as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
JANE actually works reasonably well for making sure you are in scope.

In terms of difficulty...just lean on mentors as this is mostly about experience. I can tell in 3 minutes of skimming a paper what some appropriate targets are in my field and where it has a chance.

Unless I am in a situation where I "need" something published quickly, I always say aim high and plan on at least one rejection. Not unreasonably high...that failed pilot study with an undergrad sample shouldn't go to JAMA. But the best journal a knowledgeable collaborator thinks it could reasonably end up in.

Also, IF is a pretty poor marker for odds of success when the differences are small, so keep that in mind. Journal of Environmental Psychology already has what I would consider at best a modest impact factor, so if you are debating between a journal with an IF of 3 vs an IF of 2...the decision is going to hinge a lot more on what reviewers you get. Now 2 vs 10...that is where it starts to become a meaningful difference to determine your odds of success.

Last edited:
Additionally, what journals are the papers you are citing in your paper publishing in? That's usually a good place to start looking as well.
oh that's a great idea, thanks!

JANE actually works reasonably well for making sure you are in scope.

In terms of difficulty...just lean on mentors as this is mostly about experience. I can tell in 3 minutes of skimming a paper what some appropriate targets are in my field and where it has a chance.

Unless I am in a situation where I "need" something published quickly, I always say aim high and plan on at least one rejection. Not unreasonably high...that failed pilot study with an undergrad sample shouldn't go to JAMA. But the best journal a knowledgeable collaborator thinks it could reasonably end up in.

Also, IF is a pretty poor marker for odds of success when the differences are small, so keep that in mind. Journal of Environmental Psychology already has what I would consider at best a modest impact factor, so if you are debating between a journal with an IF of 3 vs an IF of 2...the decision is going to hinge a lot more on what reviewers you get. Now 2 vs 10...that is where it starts to become a meaningful difference to determine your odds of success.
I suppose I "need" it published, as I am applying to clinical programs in the fall, though I feel like PIs might be content with seeing papers "submitted" or "in prep" too. I originally thought of applying to a journal with a very low IF (1.6-ish) thinking that would be my best chance, but now I'm thinking I might try to submit elsewhere (with a higher IF) if I don't make the deadline for the weaker journal.

Depending on the journal, you may already be a bit late if you want it accepted by fall. It could happen, but no guarantees even if things go smoothly. Short end for acceptance is probably 2-3 months from initial submission. Sometimes it takes years.

I'd still recommend aiming high. Submitted papers are fine for undergrads/post-bacs and if you've gotten to the point you are doing that you probably have at least 1 very strong letter of rec who can speak to that. IF you needed to reapply, you are better off with a more reputable journal on your CV. That said, this isn't a make or break decision (even if it feels that way).