how to buy something securely from someone here on the forum?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slarveson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering what to do / how to buy something from someone else here on the forum SAFELY? Thanks for helping me out because i've never bought anything from anyone personally over the internet...only from established businesses etc.

Members don't see this ad.

i understand that there will be more risk but whats the safest route? Is there such thing as "cash on delivery" anymore? Does paypal offer any sort of insurance etc? Surely there must be some way of making a safe transaction with some sort of third party involved.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not used in these forums, but if you buy or sell products in other forums (usually, technology forums), they use a feedback system called Heatware.

For example, I have a heatware of 39-0-0, which means 39 positive, 0 neutral and 0 negative feedbacks.
http://www.heatware.com/user_directory.php?searchQuery=ghostman
It would be nice if people started using it here.

Some people may also post their ebay ID to show their feedback there, but there's no way to associate that ebay ID with the respective user.

Otherwise, check a member's previous posts. If the member posts valuable feedback to others, it's a good sign that person is a more trustworthy member. Not a guarantee though.

BTW, most sellers do not want to go through 3rd parties, especially for low-ticket items. Extra costs, extra time and uncertainty about the trustworthiness of the 3rd party. In forum transactions, buyers pay and pray. I don't know about PayPal's insurance policy.

People with low post counts (<10) and people who have a history of bad transactions would be what I'd avoid. Paypal has a 45 day window from the time you send payment to the time you are able to file a dispute with them. Also, if you pay by postal money order, you can file for fraud with the PO. Never send cash.

I would prefer to use Paypal. It happened to me once and I filed the claim with Paypal and my money returned within 2 days!! Never ever use direct personal cheque, direct deposit or cash unless you know that person very well personally.:thumbup: