How to calculate GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kirby123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

1. Do I just need to follow this format when making an excel sheet for my GPA (from page 9 in the application instructions guide):

Course Name - Letter Grade - Grade Weight x Semester Hours = Total Quality Points
Then you divide the Total Quality Points by Semester Hours to get your GPA​

2. Do I need to include Course Name AND Course Number? i.e. CHM 2045 General Chemistry I

3. Also, my school does not have a +/- grading scale. i.e. You get 4.0 for A's, 3.0 for B's etc. Do I have to use any conversions? Looking at the format of my official transcript and it says:

Biology II Lecture -
Grade: A
Course Credit: 3.00
Credit Earned: 3.00
Credit For GPA: 3.00
Quality Points: 12.00

But if I get a B grade:
Course Credit: 3.00
Credit Earned: 3.00
Credit For GPA: 3.00
Quality Points: 9.00

Should I just ignore these numbers and just put 4.0 for A and 3.0 for B?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2015-ADEA-AADSAS-Instructions GUIDE.pdf
    314.5 KB · Views: 77
  • ADEA-AADSAS-Course-Subjects 2016.pdf
    285.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
4. Do these classes count as science? Who can I contact to answer these questions?

BSC3017 Theory and Practice In the Biological Sciences
HSC1531 Medical Terminology I
BSC4940 Internship Biological Science
HSC3201 Community Health & Epidemiology
BSC4931 Senior Seminar in Biology
BSC3932 Scientific Communication (I saw that science communication is considered "non-science" but want to verify).

Last edited:
So you don't have to make any excel spreadsheet with your grades unless you want to for your records for fun.

When you enter everything on AADSAS, it will tell you exactly what to enter.

As for your grades, if you earned a "B", you select "B" on AADSAS.

The BSC classes are biology, the HSC classes are non science. I had several HSC classes from my public health minor/master of public health. Also, I went to USF so I am pretty familiar with these classes since we had the same ones :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Aw man I stayed up so late last night making it so I could submit my application early....

So you're saying I can include all the BSC in my science GPA? Even the internship and the science communications class?

I was confused bc I saw Science communications is listed under non-science classes on the ADEA's sheet, but it is a BSC, so..

Aw man I stayed up so late last night making it so I could submit my application early....

So you're saying I can include all the BSC in my science GPA? Even the internship and the science communications class?

I was confused bc I saw Science communications is listed under non-science classes on the ADEA's sheet, but it is a BSC, so..
Internships, no. The science communication is probably non-science then if ADEA specifically lists it as a non-science. For the rest, you can mostly just follow the course prefix./