How to catch up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2nd year

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing up my 2nd year right now and I'm just now becoming interested in EM. Because I really didn't have a strong feel for what field I wanted to pursue, my CV is essentially blank. My grades are decent thus far and Step I is this summer. I'm having some difficulty getting a handle on how competitive EM is. There is a lot of conflicting information out there. At the risk of getting more of that, I have a few questions.
Is the fact that I have no record of a strong interest in EM to date going to be very detrimental when application time roles around?
Is there anything I should be doing now to stack my resume' some other than doing well on the boards and in 3rd year?
Also, I will have an opportunity to do an elective in EM toward the end of 3rd year at my school's program. This would be my first choice as a residency site because I'm kind of "tied down" to this location. Should I do this elective in 3rd year or wait until 4th when I'm theoretically smarter?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There are many threads like this for you to get info from. You should join ACEP and SAEM as a student member. I would try and get an EM rotation as fast/soon as you can. You need to have a letter of rec for your apps. You should try your best to have at least 2 letters from different EM staff prior to applying. all though I don’t need to tell you this I am sure but, do your best and work as hard as you can during your EM rotations. Start reading about the issues associated with EM so you can start to familiarize you self with the specialty. And of course Good Luck!!! :)

You really don't need to play catch up. Several of us at my school didn't decide on EM until late 3rd year or early fourth year, and we all did well in the match. As johnq said, join the EM societies and go ahead and join your school's EMIG if you have one as well. The EMIG will be especially beneficial if you're trying to stay at your home institution since it will give you contact with the faculty and residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are interested in EM and your school has a training program, and you are interested in going to that program, I would direct this question to the program director or ED chair asap. As him/her how to get into the field, what would make you competitive, if there are any research projects you could work on, and make yourself known as an interested person. Try to hang in the ED during the down time on some of your rotations. Always be enthusiastic and interested in learining. BUT (and there's always a but) don't be annoying - try to play it cool. The best resources are often right under your nose...

are you kidding, there is plenty of time left for you....do a rotation where you want to go if you are dead set on an area and make sure you get a letter of rec from that PD and they know your interest. Just work hard and that is it. If you truly EM material, it probably will be fun in the ED anyway. This site will help you alot as well. just do searches on the stuff you have ???? about. it really helped most of us as well!!

EM is extremely competitive, but just make sure you feel at home in the ED. If you're a natural here it'll show for sure and the posers will wilt in comparison. Get the grades you already know you can get and don't go overboard pretending to be so interested that you join everything, get involved in every project, and annoy the hell out of those you want to be associated with. It's kind of like joining a fraternity of people who wouldn't be caught dead in a fraternity, if you get my drift.

didn't even consider EM until June of my third year, didn't decide on EM for sure until September of my fourth year.

really, the first two years of medical school are a blip on your application for residency.

do well on Step I (it will help you in whatever field you finally choose) and do well on your third year rotations. getting strong clinical grades is impressive for all residency directors.

if you are still interested in EM at the end of your third year, consider doing an EM rotation at either the end of your third year or beginning of your fourth year and be energetic, enthusiastic, and work hard.

you may be interested in EM now but that may not be the case at the end of your third year. i was dead set on internal medicine and nephrology at the beginning of my third year. IM was my first third year rotation and i hated it. i wondered what would happen. i did surgery 3rd and although i dreaded it, it turned out to be my favorite 3rd year rotation. lots of other turns and hard decision making turned me towards EM.

People see the EM light at many different times through their career. One of my medical school friends switched from OB/GYN to EM in November of her 4th year and matched no problem.

You are not "late".
EM is moderately competitive, it isn't uber-competitive like optho or ortho.
Your letters of rec and EM rotation performance are most important.
Right now just worry about Step 1, that is more than enough to have on your plate.