How to choose the right Orthodontics program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Love orthodontics

Reaction score
I love orthodontics!
I completed a fellowship in translational orthodontics research that only solidify my interest…
I am ready to start my career in Orthodontics.
I turn to this forum for some information, opinions that could help me make decisions about my future, about orthodontic programs about the challenges of choosing this career.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Let me guess, at CTOR right? When the following is one of their application requirements, I definitely would cross that one off your list. And, are they even accredited?

58A7FF51-A85B-4FA5-B03F-DD52EB56A46F.jpeg

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user
Ortho is a competitive specialty. you will need a minimum of shadowing, good LORs, grades, GRE scores etc just like getting into anything else. Research and the fellowship would be helpful to some degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that disclaimer pertains to international applicants and is required for issuing the student visa to the US.
I had to go through that myself as an international student.
All international students know this…

I think that disclaimer pertains to international applicants and is required for issuing the student visa to the US.
I had to go through that myself as an international student.
All international students know this…
It’s also probably because they aren’t approved for US federal student loans. So, they want to make sure that if they accept a US student, the school is going to get paid.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
I love orthodontics!
I completed a fellowship in translational orthodontics research that only solidify my interest…
I am ready to start my career in Orthodontics.
I turn to this forum for some information, opinions that could help me make decisions about my future, about orthodontic programs about the challenges of choosing this career.
Do well in DS. High rank and grades are everything.
Hopefully your DS has an ortho grad dept. Ask to help the ortho residents and ortho attendings with their research. This will give you an opportunity to ask for quality LORs from the ortho attendings/program director.
If you were highly ranked .... you can go anywhere. Attending a stipend paying program if possible. No brainer.
If your DS stats are low ..... well ... maybe ortho is not for you. Attending these expensive pay to play programs along with your DS debt will make your future debt service miserable.
Once you graduate .... realize that in most urban/ saturated cities .... you will have to travel to multiple places of employment. This is normal. I work with a recent grad who works at 3 different DSOs and 1 private office. Plenty of job opportunities.
Ideally at some point .... buy or start a small ortho private practice and keep your DSO jobs. Be diversified.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users