Medical How to choose: Two MD waitlists, one DO seat LOI issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently accepted at my top choice DO school and reserved a spot. I also made the waitlist at two of my top choice MD schools. All three schools are within an hour or so drive from each other.

I'm a non trad with a wife and two kids (both basically teens at this point) and so moving is extra brain damage, especially at the last minute. I would accept either MD school in a heartbeat but don't know how to honestly update with a letter of intent when I'm genuinely waiting for two waitlists at once without feeling like I'm "lying".

Any advice for someone in my position and how to word an honest letter?
So you're willing to write an LOI to both MD schools?

Read this:
HomeSkool's Guide to Letters of Intent

Second letter of intent? Help!

Members don't see this ad.

No not at all, that's the whole point. I'd be overjoyed with both schools but don't know how to honestly update them with my interest-I know they're going to need to fill seats and I also know I probably won't hear back from either of them statistically, but even if I do, they won't probably both do it at the same time. How do I say I'd love to go there when they really both want letters of intent, but I don't want to say nothing either...do you see why it's a tricky thing for me?

P.S. I've read both your links before and I also would never write a LOI that wasn't 100% sincere
You interviewed at the schools, they know you're interested. Nothing else is going to really move the needle

What does your family think? Do they prefer you go to one of those waitlisted schools? Why?

My kids are more or less happy that we'll be moving on and settling down wherever it may be (post-bacc has been a very 'temporary' living situation). In that sense, they aren't honestly attached to any particular outcome at this point, and all are within about an hour or so of each other.

My wife is aware of the complexities of rotation/residency/cost associated with osteopathic education and so is default rooting for MD. Both MD schools are "Top 30", for whatever it's worth.

MD school #1: So one of the MD schools is close enough that she could keep her current very stable, fairly good job and we would have a lot less stress in terms of making the difference from cost of attendance to what we need. It's an amazing school that I am honored to be waitlisted at and we'd only have to move about 30 min from our current location. It has a lot of things I'm interested in.

DO: With the DO school, we could probably move somewhere where she could commute, though it would be annoying and costly (45 min- 80 min drive depending on traffic). So she could keep her job and would have to, and we'd have to move an hour away.

MD school #2: The other MD school would likely necessitate her getting a new job, at least part-time, or trying to get her small business off the ground over the months where our savings and my loans can get us through. This school also has fantastic clinical training and all the opportunities I find compelling, plus I really felt a connection to the culture there. It's just a little farther and a little more urban, which is really not new to us in any case.

In summary, my kids aren't particular. My wife feels MD > DO, but also has an eye to keeping her job. The closest school is kind of a no-brainer, but the other MD school would also likely make our lives easier in the long run by virtue of being allopathic.

Status
Not open for further replies.