How to classify a writing intensive class on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

florida91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been asked somewhere - I don't use SDN very much and couldn't find an answer after searching through threads.

My question is about how I should classify a writing intensive course on AMCAS. If I've taken a course at my college that's designated as writing intensive, but it's under a department that isn't English (Russian because it's about translated Russian literature), do I still list it under English or do I list it under Foreign Languages, Linguistics, & Literature (FLAN)?

Members don't see this ad.

List as FLAN - Generally courses that are writing intensive have a W attached to their course name (E.g. RUS LIT 101W). How does yours appear on your transcript?

None that I know of. I talked to an Adcom member at my school (through my Pre-Med Director who called him while I was in her office) and he said that I should have my program director write a letter explaining the designation since it's non on the transcripts.