Research as a first year medical student at external institutions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flaminhippoParasite

Reaction score
I am a first year medical student at a well-known European school (not Oxbridge but one of Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh, Karolinska). Since I came directly from secondary (high) school I dont have any notable research experience. I am dead set on specializing in a non-surg specialty (with potential exception of OB). IM, Path, Psychiatry, OBGYN, Occupational Med are my interests so far.

From what I hear here it is not recommended to join basic science labs/work in a lab that doesn't publish.

Would you recommend trying to join a basic science lab at a T20 (or any lab with high potential for authorship) school (WashU, Duke, Case, Chicago, Wisconsin etc) or try to get some clinical research with the hopes of getting published? Should I specify in my email I would like to try and achieve authorship or bring it up after joining a lab?

If I should try to get clinical research, how should I reach out–should I email residents or PDs or look for researchers that are specifically clinical research based.

Thanks for any help/advice :)

Members don't see this ad.