How to convert ppt to pdf to view on ipad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

byurazorhog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting an ipad for med school this fall and was wondering if there's free or reasonably priced software out there to convert powerpoint slides to pdf files. I know there are cool apps on the ipad to annotate and take notes on pdf slides but I hear that my school's lectures are mostly in ppt format. Any tech nerds among us care to share some advice? Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

The super cool and inexpensive (for students) program Microsoft Power Point allows you to convert Power Point slides to .pdf format!

Did you ever try 'Save As'? Even once?

The super cool and inexpensive (for students) program Microsoft Power Point allows you to convert Power Point slides to .pdf format!

Haha, yes I have used "Save As" many times to save files to different folders under alternative names but I guess I never noticed the save as pdf function. Thanks for the tip; it is really that simple. I know I can always rely on the power of collective thinking on SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, check out some of the applications available for the iPad/iPhone that can natively read power point documents.

I bought an iPhone recently and purchased Docs To Go. It was like $10, but it allows me to view and edit pdf, xls, doc, ppt, etc right on my phone (or iPad if i had one)!

BTW, First post! :D

Also, check out some of the applications available for the iPad/iPhone that can natively read power point documents.

I bought an iPhone recently and purchased Docs To Go. It was like $10, but it allows me to view and edit pdf, xls, doc, ppt, etc right on my phone (or iPad if i had one)!

BTW, First post! :D

Welcome to SDN Captain Picard! Can you clarify what kind of editing can be done with Docs To Go? I'm most interested in turning ppt to pdf so I can use apps like Noterize or Evernote with Drop Box. From what I've heard from other people, these apps allow you to annotate pdf slides and organize them into folders.

Haha, yes I have used "Save As" many times to save files to different folders under alternative names but I guess I never noticed the save as pdf function. Thanks for the tip; it is really that simple. I know I can always rely on the power of collective thinking on SDN.

Just FYI, if you're using a mac you can't do "save as." You have to hit print, then choose the "PDF" option and then "save as PDF"

only works with the newer versions of powerpoint (2007 and better i think)
BUt without this, you can use bullzip, and for any program that has a print button, like all MSFT office apps, you can turn it into a pdf

doc2go allows you to open many types of files (.xls.doc.ppt,etc) however it does not directly convert ppt files to pdf. If the only reason why you want to convert ppt files to pdf, is to read them, then by all means just get doc2go. However, if you have some other use for the converted pdf file, then get that other app noted above. :)

For those of you using Dropbox, I suggest taking a look at sugarsync. It is a similar app but much more functional and better IMO. Check out the differences if you're sick of uploading everysingle file to your dropbox account. It is free, even though they try to keep that from you.

Well to answer your question about saving as a PDF, the option is built in:

2vdsie8.jpg

However I suggest you jail break your iPad (you can do it via tutorial from youtube, very easy) once you do that get this app called "docstogo" . It lets you open and edit all ms word file types + other types.

You can also buy it (but free= better).

There are plenty of free programs that allow you to convert any document to a PDF on your PC. PDF redirect is one that comes to mind.

I thought Noterize works with both the ppt and pdf format. Is this incorrect?

Moreover, you can still print a pdf file with several slides per page.