How to convert US GPA (out of 4) to the Aus out of 7?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted981412

Hi, you would think that there would be a handy online calculator for this, but I am getting conflicting information on what this conversion number is. Those who applied to Monash and UMelbourne, I know that you did this. They are asking for a minimum of 6.0 out of 7 at Monash, could someone please tell me what this number would be out of 4. I called them, and they were not able to guide me on this :(

Members don't see this ad.

Cross multiply?

Like if your GPA is 3.6.

3.6 / 4 = x / 7

Solve for x.

4x = (3.6)(7)
4x = 25.2
x = 6.3

If you want to see what you need, still solve for x but set it up correctly.

x / 4 = 6 / 7

Good luck.

Hey, thanks for the response. Gotta ask: are you sure? I don't think this is it, since the 1-2, and 2-3 range are not as equally weighted as the 3-4 range. As in, people usually receive GPA' that are somewhere between 3 and 4, and I think that is where a fine tuning happens. Could I please ask if you have a source on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have a source that says 1-2 and 2-3 are not as equally weighted?

Just trying to help, you can take my advice or not take it, I’m a student currently at UQ-O.

I don't think it's that simple and varies per school.

Reactions: 1 user

This isn't hard to find stuff. You could even e-mail the schools you're interested in applying to, to find this information out.

And sometimes it is that simple.

This isn't hard to find stuff. You could even e-mail the schools you're interested in applying to, to find this information out.

And sometimes it is that simple.

Yeah I did, and they said that they use their internal parameters, but I can "look around the internet." This is one part of that doing that. Also there is a GEMSAS GPA that does this step by step, and yes you are not correct. This is the first thing that people would think of--cross multiplication. It's not that, chief. If you're gonna be condescending, at least show your work.

Yeah I did, and they said that they use their internal parameters, but I can "look around the internet." This is one part of that doing that. Also there is a GEMSAS GPA that does this step by step, and yes you are not correct. This is the first thing that people would think of--cross multiplication. It's not that, chief. If you're gonna be condescending, at least show your work.

You referred to me as chief.

You're calling me condescending. You're making a value judgment for an intent which was not there.

I tried to be helpful and it wasn't helpful. That's fine - I have no skin in the game.

The easiest thing for you to do would be to reach out to the schools you're interested in applying to, as they could provide definitive answers, which I also recommended.

Good luck with your future endeavors.

[Edit: for fun, it took me about 2 minutes to Google U Syd GPA requirements, and it looks like you need a minimum 2.7/4.0 GPA earned (U.S./Canada) to be considered for admission. Check out page 11.

https://sydney.edu.au/content/dam/c...des/md-dmd-international-admissions-guide.pdf ]

Last edited:
You referred to me as chief.

You're calling me condescending. You're making a value judgment for an intent which was not there.

I tried to be helpful and it wasn't helpful. That's fine - I have no skin in the game.

The easiest thing for you to do would be to reach out to the schools you're interested in applying to, as they could provide definitive answers, which I also recommended.

Good luck with your future endeavors.

[Edit: for fun, it took me about 2 minutes to Google U Syd GPA requirements, and it looks like you need a minimum 2.7/4.0 GPA earned (U.S./Canada) to be considered for admission. Check out page 11.

https://sydney.edu.au/content/dam/c...des/md-dmd-international-admissions-guide.pdf ]

Dude, no-one asked about USyd. I know that USyd wants that number. I was asking for other places that use a out of 7 system like Monash and Melbourne. That would have taken two more minutes to determine as well.

"The easiest thing for you to do would be to reach out to the schools you're interested in applying to, as they could provide definitive answers, which I also recommended."--Thank you! That was stage 0, and they have not been able to provide anything conclusive, hence the digging.

It's alright, this is not important anymore. I appreciate you trying to help, and think this thread should probably be closed since nothing much conclusive has come out of it.