US Pathology resident planning to move to Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.


Full Member
Feb 20, 2020
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hello! Could you guys please enlighten me about this issue. I am a PGY3 pathology resident in the US scheduled to do a dermatopathology fellowship. I am planning to move to either Canada or Australia. I intend to obtain a permanent residency wherever I eventually decide to end up. I have two questions for experienced peeps here:

1) What is the difference in board certification processes between these two countries?
2) What is the difference in average payscale to pathologists (or physicians in general) between the two countries? (and how do they compare to those in the US ?)

Thanks in advance!


Radiologist - DNB, FRCR (UK), FRANZCR (Australia)
2+ Year Member
May 30, 2018
Reaction score
Hi, there have been a few threads here about IMG specialists moving abroad to Australia via the 'specialist pathway'

Here is a link specifically relevant to pathologists

overview about how to become a specialist in australia
1-become board certified in USA
2-submit documentation about your qualifications and experience to RCPA
3-wait for RCPA to review your paperwork +/- an interview
4 - based on 1-3, RCPA will determine if you are substantially comparable (SC), partially comparable (PC) or not comparable to the Australian specialist
5 - if you are SC or PC you are eligible to find a job - this is your own responsibility and the college does not help you (dont underestimate the difficulty of this step) - often will be in a rural/regional centre at the level of a senior registrar or staff specialist (attending)
6 - once you find a job you are eligible for limited registration
7 - complete the requirements that RCPA have given you that you need to fulfill during this job (varies from 1-2 years depending on individual assessment)
8 - complete the fellowship exams (part I and II) - as an american board certified doctor you are exempted from part I (RCPA - Examination Exemptions )
9 - obtain specialist registration once you obtain fellowship and complete your job requirements - finally

Not sure about the situation in Canada but I imagine its easier than going to Australia

Pay wise in Australia is highly dependent - hours worked, private (bill per patient) vs public (salary)
Taxation and cost of living in these countries is probably different
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user