antissa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
Toronto, Canada
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
I've been really down lately, and my friends/family can't deal with it any longer, so maybe I can dump it all out here
I'm a Canadian premed in my 3rd year of a life science honors degree. I applied to 3 schools this year, with a 3.91 GPA, 38R MCATs, and not a lot of volunteer (a few months at a couple of hospitals, no long term commitments) or extracurriculars (some fencing, kickboxing, piano) but I thought my numbers would make up for it. I've been rejected from 2 of 3 schools pre-interview based on my lack of life experience. On top of that, I got a horrible mark in a class last semester which will single-handedly drop my GPA at least 0.06 points, so I'm beginning to think if I couldn't get interviews this year, how will I get them next year with a lower GPA? I've been volunteering more, but I think it will seem obviously like a last-ditch effort to ad-coms next year
On top of the academic trouble and rejections, one of my close family members was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, I'm getting a tissue biopsy for an lymph node next week, and I've been unable to secure a summer research job while I watched my less experienced friends score positions. I want to stop complaining because I know others are less fortunate, it was just a shock for it all to happen at once after years of smooth sailing
I will be applying to american schools next year, and hoping my MCAT scores will balance out my ... whatever was wrong with me this year. What sorts of reference letters are needed? Most Canadian schools will look at only 3, of which they suggest 1 professor, 1 employer/supervisor, and 1 character reference, but I've heard a lot more are needed in the US, particularly from professors
Anyway, sorry for the long post and thanks for bearing with me

Clin_Epi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
Status
Ontario is THE hardest place to get into med school in North America.

You have no reason to complain with your stats.